PDA

View Full Version : Glowlight danio breeding?

karbomb
02-06-2008, 01:27 AM
i would like to breed my danio choprai, i have found very little info on the web that would help me.
i would like to know of the ideal conditions of breeding for them including but not limited to; kh, ph, temp, and diet.
i also would like to know of an easy way to sex them.
any help would be great.

toddnbecka
02-06-2008, 05:41 AM
Breeding
Quite easy. You'll need to set up a separate tank in which to spawn the fish. Something around 16" x 8" x 8" in size is fine. This should be very dimly lit, with clumps of fine-leaved plants such as java moss or spawning mops to give the fish somewhere to deposit their eggs. The plants also have the added benefit of providing this shy species with some additional security. The fish should be conditioned in male and female groups in separate tanks on a high quality diet of frozen and live foods, at a temperature around 75F. Keep the temperature of the spawning tank a few degrees higher than the main tank, say around 79-80F, with a pH of 6.0-6.5. When the females are noticeably full of eggs and the males are displaying their best colours, select the fattest female and best-coloured male and transfer them to the spawning tank.

The pair should spawn the following morning. The easiest and quickest way to tell is simply to look at the female. If the fish have spawned she will be noticeably slimmer. The adults will eat the eggs given the chance and should be removed at the first opportunity. They should hatch in 24-36 hours, with the fry becoming free swimming a few days later. These are very small and require infusoria-type food for the first few days, until they're large enough to accept microworm or brine shrimp nauplii. The species is less fecund than some of the more common danios, such as D. rerio .

http://www.minifische.de/miniextern/DaniChop.html