PDA

View Full Version : angelfish is pecking other angelfish

supun
02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Hi,

I have a 120Gal tank with 3 discus, guaramis, and others.
Now, there are 3 marbled angels. Two are large and one is smaller. How do I tell the sex of the angels? One large angel is pecking the other large angel on its mouth, as if it is fighting.. they are not injured though..

Please advise what is happening and what I should do..
Thanks.

Su
Edit/Delete Message

Fishalicious
02-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I don't know how long you have had the Angelfish but if they are recently added they are just trying to work out who will be the boss...obviously the little angelfish is no contest :ezpi_wink1:

It should not take longer than maybe a week until they know ... until then it is pretty normal

jbeining75
02-06-2008, 12:35 AM
they are just establishing territory and the leader of the pack, keep the lights off and they will chill out in a day or so.....,

jbeining75
02-06-2008, 12:37 AM
sorry for sex the male is smaller at like ages and has darker markings, females bigger with lighter markings...

Fishalicious
02-06-2008, 12:39 AM
You can better just keep the lighting as usual as otherwise it will just take longer... as long as they are not getting nasty and biting and keeping it to shoving around a bit there is no harm....

jbeining75
02-06-2008, 12:41 AM
sometimes if you turn the lights down the fish will school then when turned back on they will be fine.........from my experiences, some fish have attitudes of their own though

mitcore
02-06-2008, 09:16 AM
you r angels are also showing agression towards each other to deciede if the other is a good partner, they get agressive when trying to find the right girl for them it is usually the male who does it
the other possiblity is that there are eggs in the tank, the angels will protect them from the other fish and sometime to the death,
sorry to butt in on this thread i am mitcore i breed angels,

as i was saying the males will hurt and weaken the females in the process of finding out if she is right for him, i nearly lost one girl to this, lucky i saved her and she is now in a breeding pair, with a marble,

so hopefully i have helped by possibly giving you other thoughts on why this is happening,

good luck

ps the sexing of angels are females are smaller and have a round front from under the mouth to the dorsal fins
and the males have a straight line where the female is, the are also bigger,

plow
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
i nearly lost one girl to this, lucky i saved her and she is now in a breeding pair, with a marble,

awesome, angels can breed with marbles...

clever little things aren't they?:c7:

mitcore
02-07-2008, 12:12 AM
LOL
i definately having a bad brain day,

LOL i feel dumb

supun
02-20-2008, 02:27 AM
jbeining75 is wrong!!! mitcore is correct!! I get so annoyed when people put the wrong information on these forums!! It can mislead so many beginners!
The female is smaller than the male, and has a rounder belly. When ready to spawn, the female has a flatter papilla and the male has a cone shaped papilla.

I noticed this, because after separating the pair, they spawned in my smaller tank.

Also, the male angels finnage is more elaborate.