PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding lighting cycles and lightbulb types

Axis of Weasel
02-05-2008, 11:50 PM
so everyone knows that plants turn sunlight and CO2 into O2 and energy, but I didnt know that at night, plants use O2 and produce CO2.

Is it ok to leave lights on for say 18+ hrs and off the rest of the time or do plants require a more balanced amount of light and dark?

I have a 10g tank with an light+hood in the mail -- would it help to supplement this (or even substitute the lamp) with standard 60watt bulbs from a regular (non-aquarium) floor lamp? The lamp (with 3 bulbs) would be right next to the tank. It seems that a lot of light gets reflected off the tank and so doesnt reach the plants inside. Plus I am told by my gardener friends that indoor lights do very little for houseplants, so I imagine it helps tank plants about as much. I have also noticed "plant lights" in the hardware store that fit standard 60 Watt outlets. Any good?

is there anyway to measure CO2 or O2 levels in a tank? There are so many water tests for fish but no tests fo plants! I feel like I am neglecting them :(

Thx!

Halelorf
02-06-2008, 12:54 AM
With 18+ hours of light you risk getting some nasty algae. They don't need that much light to thrive. For plant light you want to get a lamp in the correct kelvin rating for your plants, which you would probably want 6700 or 10000k lamps. I have a tetra master test kit that has a little chart of ph vs kh that will give an estimate of CO2 levels. Hope that helps you thumbs2:

hpt84
02-06-2008, 01:18 PM
You should only leave your light on for 12 hours. Leaving plant on for more than 12 hrs won't help your plant much. Plant need co2 as much as they need o2. Also, fish need the balance of light and dark.

What kind of light fixture are you getting? Is it florescent?

Last time I check there are online site that sell test kit for oxygen level. I'm not sure about co2 level.

smaug
02-06-2008, 08:37 PM
so everyone knows that plants turn sunlight and CO2 into O2 and energy, but I didnt know that at night, plants use O2 and produce CO2.

Is it ok to leave lights on for say 18+ hrs and off the rest of the time or do plants require a more balanced amount of light and dark?

I have a 10g tank with an light+hood in the mail -- would it help to supplement this (or even substitute the lamp) with standard 60watt bulbs from a regular (non-aquarium) floor lamp? The lamp (with 3 bulbs) would be right next to the tank. It seems that a lot of light gets reflected off the tank and so doesnt reach the plants inside. Plus I am told by my gardener friends that indoor lights do very little for houseplants, so I imagine it helps tank plants about as much. I have also noticed "plant lights" in the hardware store that fit standard 60 Watt outlets. Any good?

is there anyway to measure CO2 or O2 levels in a tank? There are so many water tests for fish but no tests fo plants! I feel like I am neglecting them :(

Thx!
I agree with everyones advice,its all dead on.Here is a test kit that will do what you want.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/advancedSearch.web?command=Search&searchParams.keywords=207576&searchParams.size=10#resultBody

Axis of Weasel
02-07-2008, 02:13 PM
What kind of light fixture are you getting? Is it florescent?

its a fluorescent 13W, 5000K