PDA

View Full Version : OK to keep discus and other tropical fish in same tank?

supun
02-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi guys,

This is continuance with my previous thread, where one of my 6" discus was attacked...
I am a tropical fish beginner, and I would like info from Fish experts about keeping discus, angels and other fish in the same 125 gall tank.
Now, I am getting different feedback..some say keep all discus in a separate tank. What is your say?

CAN PEOPLE WHO CURRENTLY HAVE 3 OR MORE DISCUS, ANGELS (3 OR MORE) AND OTHER SPECIEIS IN THE SAME TANK PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL OR FAILURE IN THIS CASE?

Thanks for your help,
Supun

Fishguy2727
02-06-2008, 03:20 AM
It is definitely possible. My 4 discus are in with platies, a gold nugget pleco, and a Synodontis petricola. Two discus just paired off and have now laid at least two batches of eggs (which as usual with discus they ate). There are many options with species including: angels, many types of tetras, many types of corydoras, some species of plecos, rams, many loaches, etc. Many people seem to make out discus as living in this uniquely warm, acidic water intolerable by any other fish. They are from Amazonia, home to MANY fish and plants and there are lots of options for tankmates.

jbeining75
02-06-2008, 04:35 AM
I'd say its feasable... you had the gouramis in and the angel got attacked or vice versa right???

cocoa_pleco
02-06-2008, 04:37 AM
its definitely possible, ive seen discus with corys, cardinal/neon tetras, angels, african knife fish, etc

SpyderSpy6
02-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Keeping discus in a community tank can be very tricky. I ran in to some of the common problems and questions you are having too. I began with a tropical community tank and once I was able to do discus I was ready to put them in my tank! The problems I ran in to were my angelfish!

*Something I have found with angelfish... If you have a fairly large male that will show a little bit of dominance towards the other fish DO NOT put him with discus. My angelfish would make my first pair of discus stay in the corner of the tank. I will not put angelfish with discus because of that, but, if you introduce the discus first and the angelfish second, I've had really good success. It's almost like you have to bring the angelfish in to the discus home not the discus in to the angel home, if that makes sense.

Since then I have not put any angelfish with discus mainly because of the stress levels it causes me.

*It is best to have the discus in a low stress tank, where competition for food is a minimal. If there is too much commotion around feeding time, the discus will not get in the middle. They prefer a calm setting.

I have only seen the angelfish work with discus in tanks that are 130+ with either alot of plants or alot of swimming space. Also increasing your ratio of discus to angelfish may help.

I currently have a 75 gallon, live planted tank, with 6 Discus. I keep them with serpae tetra's, rummy nose, cardinal tetra's, galaxia pleco, clown loaches, upside down catfish, and some other small guys too.

If you have any reference questions, check out my website.... I've pooled some of the better information and created a quick reference page...

http://damiansdiscusaquarium.blogspot.com/

I hope this helps!!

Take Care!

thumbs2:
:c7:

supun
02-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Hey guys,

thanks for your help. Actually, it wasnt the Angelfish who bit and killed my discus. I reckon it was the large ghostknife fish...damn!!!
Actually, the mature pair of marbled angelfish (male+femal) are preening my large amazon plant as they prepare to spawn. The anglefish are merely chasing other discuses from that area..they are not biting them..

I am now going to separate my pair of angels to a seperate breeding tank..wish me luck!!
Sue

ruthlesskiller
02-15-2008, 01:04 PM
depends on the temperment of your angels i guess, ive seen discus wif arowanas :)

Juddy
09-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I've encountered no problems when I introduced a young turqoise to my 260Lt community tank, although i was playing it safe with peppered cory's, clown loaches, many neons and a few guppies. I've since added a dwarf gourami (against many people's advice), who was very quickly made well aware of who he'll be taking orders from, but other than those few hours of discipline it's been all harmony.
From my experience, introducing other species to a tank where discus already rules the roost is definately the safer option.

Red
09-01-2008, 07:04 PM
woo this thread is old........... but good info

cocoa_pleco
09-01-2008, 07:06 PM
February thread but good info