PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Skarloey

SkarloeysMom
02-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I had to put Skarloey down today, 2 years and 2 months after I got him from PetSmart in one of those little cups. I could not stand to watch him get worse and worse. He was swollen and pineconed and definately had dropsy. It took him great effort to get to the surface for air. I'm pretty sure he was suffering. He was too old to recover this time but I gave him the best couple years I could give him. He was a great fish and we will never forget him:ssad: .

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
sorry about skarlory.... he'll be missed...... how did you break the news to your son??? Hows he taking it????? Hopefully things will get better... again sorry for your loss....

fins_n_fur
02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Sorry for your loss, really sorry to hear that!

Tolley
02-05-2008, 09:41 PM
He sure put up a good fight, R.I.P

Dave66
I had to put Skarloey down today, 2 years and 2 months after I got him from PetSmart in one of those little cups. I could not stand to watch him get worse and worse. He was swollen and pineconed and definately had dropsy. It took him great effort to get to the surface for air. I'm pretty sure he was suffering. He was too old to recover this time but I gave him the best couple years I could give him. He was a great fish and we will never forget him:ssad: .

Bless you, Mom. Keeping a Betta alive as long as you did is an real accomplishment, and you should be proud; I am for you. You've no idea how old he was when you bought him, so he was probably close to three years old. Big hug for you :)

Dave

Fishalicious
Ahhhhhhhhh.... I am so sorry for your loss <<<big warm hugs>>>>

If there was anything I could say to make it better I would say it in a heartbeat xxxx

You gave him a fantastic life x

SkarloeysMom
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
sorry about skarlory.... he'll be missed...... how did you break the news to your son??? Hows he taking it????? Hopefully things will get better... again sorry for your loss....

I told him and he asked to see him and I showed him. He said, "Awww! Poor Skarloey." It will take him a while to process it. He usually just thinks about it for a while and then the sadness comes out in about a week.

Thanks to all y'all for your thoughts.

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 10:12 PM
It was the right thing to do, you made peace with the fish and helped him from suffering, also your son will understand hopefully...... we are here to support you as a community and again sorry for the loss and I hope everything gets better!!!!

crackatinny
02-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Very sad to hear that, he had a great life with you I am sure, geez he even became part of our little family here.

Here is a link to the in memory thread, I think he well and truely deserves a place in there:thumb:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5288&highlight=memory

SkarloeysMom
02-06-2008, 02:28 AM
I told him and he asked to see him and I showed him. He said, "Awww! Poor Skarloey."

I didn't tell him that I put Skarloey down. I just told him that Skarloey died. He didn't see me do it. I don't think I'm going to explain euthanasia to him yet.

Thanks Crack, I'll definately post in the memory thread soon.

squirt_12
02-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Sorry to hear about Skarloey :(

R.I.P.
Skarloey :(

jbeining75
02-06-2008, 02:32 AM
yeah thats better to tell him he died versus you killed it... even though it was for the better, (killed is such a harse word sorry, you put him outta his misery but a kid would think killed) I don't think he would understand yet.... I think you made a great decision and did it very well with your son in mind... I applaud you for that... I wish we could all be that strong..... When my Pacu got attacked by my Oscars I told my daughter that I gave him to a friend so he could be with his family..... shes 2 so she didn't understand.....

Lady Hobbs
02-06-2008, 02:54 AM
So sorry. It is hard to lose our favorite fish. Betta's are said to live about two years so guess he hit the average for them.

shalafi04
02-06-2008, 02:59 AM
soooo sorry to hear the news. He's in a bigger better fish bowl now. No worries hun. :) *HUGS*

country_boy454
02-06-2008, 03:14 AM
Sorry to hear the news.

Tigerbarb
02-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Sorry to hear that... You did the best you could for him.

blu
02-06-2008, 04:42 AM
Im so sorry to hear that. But you did everything you could for him and he lived a long life with the best of care.

ladytiff11
02-06-2008, 05:00 AM
very sorry for your loss. hoping your son (and you) will be ok.

Incredulous_Ed
02-06-2008, 05:29 AM
I am so sorry ot hear this :(

Nick_Pavlovski
02-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Swim in peace, Skarloey.

digital3
02-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Today is a sad day... But you gave this little animal a beautiful life. My prayers and heart goes out to you and your son. I'm so sorry...

:scry:

IcecreamLtDan
02-10-2008, 04:02 AM
So sorry to hear that, it's always sad to loose a friend like that. You can take solace in the fact that you gave the little guy a good life.

Nick_Pavlovski
02-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Whoah, Dan!
Long time no hear from!

IcecreamLtDan
02-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Yea, I work 4 days a week, 11 hours a day so it makes it hard for me to do much during the week, then I spend all weekend on the "honey-do" list. Wish I could spend more time here. heh.