PDA

View Full Version : Another Snail Question.

Ty
02-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I am thinking of getting some snails for my tank, but I dont want to have thousands of them like others have, so I was woundering what is the best type of freshwater snails to get, and any other good information or reading on them.

Im also at a loss when it comes to good LFS's, so anyplace that you could get them online would be cool also.
thanks everyone

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
try aquariumfish.net they have apple snails alot of people use these......

Fishalicious
02-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Olive Nerite snails are super algae eaters and don't touch plants.. the plus is they only breed in brakish water so no chance of a major breakout.

Ty
02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I havent had too good of luck with apple snails.

On a side note, will goldfish eat snails? If so, I shoudl have no problem keeping the population down...

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 06:00 PM
goldfish are mostly herbivores, the snails shouldn't get eaten.... but they do eat brine shrimp and bloodworms along with pellets or flakes........ they can be omnivorous though....

Ty
02-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I was just wondering, because I have seen my goldfish eat a small snail before, but He might have thought thet it was a bit of food.

Adrian
02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Gold mystery snails will work in your tank. They are great at algae removal, and do not multiply like guppies. They lay eggs about an 1 to two inches above the water line, so if your tank is always full, and you have a cover on the tank, they can not breed.

These snails are NOT apple snails, so they don't get to the size of a baseball.

Levi
02-18-2008, 09:29 PM
goldfish will hassle snails a tiny bit, but then they close up and the goldfish will go away

as long as your fish aren't starving to death the snails should be fine and won't get their feelers chewed

aquanewby
02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
If you can find them! You can get zebra snails originally salt water that have been transfered to freshwater and they don't multiply! I bought one and have never had another snail!

Ty
02-19-2008, 12:31 AM
are the above mentioned snails okay with plants?

lacalaca
02-28-2008, 12:40 AM
I have an Apple snail and it has recently eaten a guppy. Are Apple snails aggresive or was the guppy already dead.

toddnbecka
02-28-2008, 05:58 AM
The guppy was almost certainly dead before the snail got to it.

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
Gold mystery snails will work in your tank. They are great at algae removal, and do not multiply like guppies. They lay eggs about an 1 to two inches above the water line, so if your tank is always full, and you have a cover on the tank, they can not breed.

These snails are NOT apple snails, so they don't get to the size of a baseball.

Mystery snails ARE apple snails, just a diffrent species than the ones that get to baseball size. They lay their eggs above the water line, and if you have a full tank they will just hang them from the lid....but they will lay them. The egg clutches are VERY easy to remove and dispose of so i would highly recommend mystery snails!

Mystery snails get to be about golfball size and come in many colors other than golden-including: jade, ivory, brown, and hmmm i know there are more colors, but cant think this late :c10:

If you want to know more about snails or want to get some PM me, ill hook you up :ezpi_wink1:

karbomb
02-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Olive Nerite snails are super algae eaters and don't touch plants.. the plus is they only breed in brakish water so no chance of a major breakout.
i have two of these little buggers and they are great, but they lay eggs all over the place, little white spots everywhere, it's unattractive.

karbomb
02-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I have an Apple snail and it has recently eaten a guppy. Are Apple snails aggresive or was the guppy already dead.
hahaha, sorry, i am trying to imagine a snail catching a fish. it's a funny sight if you think about it. i would definitely agree that the fish must have been dead.

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes, mystery snails will eat dead fish and plants, but they definatly leave the live ones alone :)

LOL a little slow snail catching a zipping fish :P

karbomb
02-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes, mystery snails will eat dead fish and plants, but they definatly leave the live ones alone :)

LOL a little slow snail catching a zipping fish :P
i guess i am imagining a very smart secret agent snail totally ambushing a fish, millimeter by millimeter. it helps if you imagine the snail wearing a mafioso hat. possibly smoking a tiny cigarette if you will.

aquanewby
03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
As far as I know zebra snails are okay with plants.