PDA

View Full Version : Can I?

TowBoater
02-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Can I have a 29-30g with these types? If so is there a large variety of them or not many? I know NOTHING of these fish but my LFS has some.

Bassfan
02-05-2008, 01:11 AM
you should get some convict cichlids man. But id say if they're small enough with good filtration, why not?

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 01:12 AM
these are almost like mbuna except mbuna from lake malawi of course and tanganyikas are well from lake tanganyika. They are best kept with other tangans in a species tank like mbuna or other african cichlids. Like most africans crowding combats the aggressiveness. Most grow from 4-6 inches but species like the frontosa can get to 14 inches.... I'd stay 4-6 in a 30 gallon. They are rift lake as other laked africians and prefer sand bottom or fine gravel substrate.... they are omnivorous and take pellets, flakes, brine shrimp.....

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 01:14 AM
also they love rock structures and driftwood to simulate natural environment.......... can be mixed with mbuna from malawi of like size. You need to add these guys all to the tank at the same time or do it in two like groups... The ones in the tank will become territorial. to combat that move the tank around to break previously established territories.....

TowBoater
02-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Thanks, my LFS doesn't have their cichlids labeled, they just have assorted african cichlids. They all live in peace so should I pick the same species or a variety?

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 01:52 AM
kuli most are probably electrics or mason eyes.....
google convict julie, golden julie, ummm lets see lemon cichlid, just make sure no frontosa..... frontosa are bluish purple with black and white vertical stripes.....

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 01:57 AM
they all live in peace as long as they are crowded.... you get really close or break the 1 inch of fish per gallon with these guys or they rip up the tank.....
all them will get along.

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 02:00 AM
if you see my signature that 4 africans in the 37 gallon was a huge mistake.... I can't get other africans in the tank now as the other attack them even if I moved the entire tank around.... I had to get danios to act as a dither for the firemouths, and the 2 firemouth calmed down all the africans...... I'm taking the firemouths out and putting them in the 55 gallon when I set my new Oscar tank... hopefully the danio will hold... if not I'll end up moving them, taking the africans out for a few days moving the entire tank and adding the new and old.....