PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Female Krib

Emmastaff
02-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I just purchased a pair of Kribs Saturday. A male and a female. The female has been harassing the male ever since I released them into the tank. She is relentless. The poor guy has wedged himself between the glass and the heater for protection. He'll come out once in a while, only to be chased back into his corner. I worry about him, as he doesn't seem to be eating much. I have a 55 gallon aquarium (Hex) and the only other fish in there are zebra danios which both Kribs ignore. Should I have purchased more Kribs to even things out? I was under the impression that one pair was ideal. Will they get used to each other eventually? This female is certainly a female because her belly is quite round and red. She seemed ready to breed the moment she came out of the bag! The male is certainly a male as he has more pointed dorsal fin, less rounded belly and is slightly larger. What is your advice? Just let them work it out?

YaYgoldFish
02-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Sounds like they mated the the female is just protecting the eggs. Give them a few days and the male will be let back in the ''Family''

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 05:22 PM
yeah I also think its spousal tormenting... like yay said she may be protecting the eggs.... if possible try to remove him or keep the tank broken up so he has somewhere to hide....

Fishalicious
02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Ahhh Kribs... like all dwarfs when they are in the 'mood' there is no romance involved... she is wanting to mate and the male is not cooperating by the sounds of it... he will either have to give in to her or if you can remove her for a few days to another tank to give him time to settle and come round to the idea of mating.

Most people think that the males in dwarfs are agressive but the females can be worse when they are wanting to breed or have a brood.

Emmastaff
02-04-2008, 06:09 PM
You know, I thought maybe that was it. But I guess you just assume males will be the more aggressive pursuers. I never imagined the female would be such a hussy!

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 06:16 PM
You know, I thought maybe that was it. But I guess you just assume males will be the more aggressive pursuers. I never imagined the female would be such a hussy!

males if kept with other males are genrally aggressive towards each other when mating but if paired alot of the times the female will dominate the pairing.....

Emmastaff
02-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Well, Mr Krib has begun to venture out several times per day. I have spotted him swimming near the female, and she ignoring him, mostly. He still spends a good amount of time behind the heater, but he is out much more often. He ate today also. The female spent a lot of time in a flower pot. Hmmm....

jbeining75
02-06-2008, 05:59 AM
might just watch that little flower pot there nice and closely, I would.....

bluekrissyspikes
02-07-2008, 06:39 PM
ooooh- babies maybe. cool!

Arkie
02-08-2008, 12:46 AM
if this is their first time at breeding though dont be suprised if they eat their fry, mine ate 3 lots of fry before they became good parents.