PDA

View Full Version : Urgent:Discus Got attacked!

supun
02-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Please Help Me ASAP,

I recently bought a fish tank (approx 112 Gallons or 433L) The owner had all these fish living in the tank peacfully:
3 blue striped discus ( one is 6 inches) and other two are smalled
2 gold discus
4 angelfish ( 1 large and others medium size)
2 clownloaches
1 ghostknife
small choc guaramis (5)
1 cleaningfish small

The tank has numerous driftwood, plants, gravel etc

For 2 days (whilst I set up the large tank) I put all the fish into a 4ft tank, except for the angelfish which I put into a smaller tank. The 4ft tank had a good filter and heater for 2 days and all fish were fine. The angelfish were also fine.

Then, I put the angelfish into the 4ft tank with the other fish. Everything looked fine in the night, but when I came from work today, the large 6 inch discus has many bite marks on it (on its fin.It is clear that another fish has attacked it. The other discuses and other fish are fine.

I have isolated the injured discus and put it in a tub of water with a heater and oxygen tube placed in the water. He is swimming slowly but he is clearly sufferring from the injuries.

Please answer this: Did the angelfish attack my discus? What can I do to save the discus? :help: Should I give it medicine? Will the angels attack the 4 other discus still in the 4ft tank?

If I put all the fish into the 112 Gall tank, will my discus get attacked again?
Please help ASAP!!!!!!!!

Tolley
02-04-2008, 04:18 PM
imo i think it could have been the cleanerfish or the ghostknife.

the cleaner fish if its a pleco might have starter to suck on the side of the big slow moving discus.

or ghostknife are known to prey on fish during the night dpending on the size.

~Erik3.8.07~
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
it could possibly be the gouramis, they do sometimes tend to be territorial. But did you just put fish in after having the tank up for only a couple days? If so your tank isnt cycled and i strongly urge you read up on cycling in the beginners section.

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 05:06 PM
I'd say it might of been the gourami's in a territory battle. Isolate the discus, try to salt his water alittle and use melafix for the fin repair and open wound.... make sure he has plenty of air... continue melafix treatment for 7 days....

supun
02-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys..Thanks especially to jbeining75 for giving me an immediate solution to the problem. Yes, I gave it a dose of melafix last night, but he continues to lie on the bottom of the bucket.

Lady Hobbs
02-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Discus are best if kept in a species only tank (with bristlenose) altho some try to put other species with them. They are much too expensive and beautiful a fish to take chances with.

I had angels and they were far from docile. I can't really see a gourami attacking a 6 inch fish. They are rather stupid but I don't think that stupid.
I don't know anything about ghost knife but my bests on the angels.

Good luck and hope it has a fast recovery.

supun
02-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Lady Hobbs, so you think it is the angelfish who attacked it..? You say that discus cant live with other species of fish...but how come the previous owner of the tank successfully kept them..? It def was not the guaramis..as they are only 2 inches long..

Also, all the other ppl on this post say that ghostknife attacked it... I am confused..!!! I really dont think isolating the discuses will be the only soln to the problem..

Cmmon fish experts!! Tell me..do any of you guys keep angelfish and discus together? Tell me if you are successful or not!!

SpyderSpy6
02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
it's a very thin line trying to keep these two species. I posted on your other thread about keeping them together. I have a good article on my website you should take a minute to read too.

Also... be careful going with jbeining's advice on the solution. And no diss to anyone here... I've just known to NEVER put salt in a discus aquarium or an isolation bucket. The reason you have to change the water so often with discus is because there is a no salt in the water, which helps most other aquariums maintain stability. I've also heard it can damage the mucus film on their bodies.

Hope you get this figured out!

Take Care!
thumbs2:
:c7:

bluekrissyspikes
02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
you are the only one who can find out who attacked him. you need to observe your fish and see who is being aggressive. i had to isolate my angelfish because he kept pecking at everyone, so my money is on him. as for the injured discus, i'd be doing more research if i were you. i can't really help because i've never had discus before. if you have another tank you should put him in that instead of a bucket