PDA

View Full Version : Leaves turning yellow

ken1508
02-04-2008, 07:10 AM
I have a large anubias barteri and a crypt and both of it's leaves are turning yellow. Is this a symptom of insufficient light? Or the lack of fertilizer?
Or both?

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Both are low light plants but how low is yours. What kind of substrate are you using? Low light plants generally don't need ferts but it may not hurt them any.

Dave66
02-04-2008, 07:41 AM
I have a large anubias barteri and a crypt and both of it's leaves are turning yellow. Is this a symptom of insufficient light? Or the lack of fertilizer?
Or both?

Ken,
What is your substrate? Is it one designed for planted tanks or is it just gravel? Are you fertilizing anything? Reason I asked those questions is yellowing leaves means they are lacking chelated iron. All you need to grow what you got is 1.5 watts per gallon of full spectrum light, 6700K color temperature. If you have that, and the leaves are yellowing, its iron they lack.
Flourish makes tablets that contain iron and other elements that you can push two or three round the roots to take care of the Crypt. Flourish also makes a liquid iron supplement; use half-doses until you know how much your plants are taking in (by their look you can tell). I use plain Flourish liquid half-doses daily for my leaves, because I have very nutrient-rich substrates to take care of iron and the other major and minor elements.

Dave

country_boy454
02-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Ken,
What is your substrate? Is it one designed for planted tanks or is it just gravel? Are you fertilizing anything? Reason I asked those questions is yellowing leaves means they are lacking chelated iron. All you need to grow what you got is 1.5 watts per gallon of full spectrum light, 6700K color temperature. If you have that, and the leaves are yellowing, its iron they lack.
Flourish makes tablets that contain iron and other elements that you can push two or three round the roots to take care of the Crypt. Flourish also makes a liquid iron supplement; use half-doses until you know how much your plants are taking in (by their look you can tell). I use plain Flourish liquid half-doses daily for my leaves, because I have very nutrient-rich substrates to take care of iron and the other major and minor elements.

Dave

Took the words right outta my mouth!

slinky
02-05-2008, 12:40 AM
It sounds like melt. I had this happen to all my plants for the first week I added them. I also upgraded my light to almost 2 WPG. Then I got algae growth like you wouldn't believe. As mad as I am for buying the light, I'm back to my 1.2 WPG and it's all stabilizing now 10 days later. Even my moss ball is no longer brown like it was with the higher lighting.

ken1508
02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
The substrate is gravel. I did find in the box of supplies that came with the tank, a bottle of Plant Gro Iron Enriched made by Nutrafin/Hagen. I just want to make sure that using that won't harm the fish in any way. I'm going to replace the 15 watt bulb that's been in there since who knows how long. I bet with a new bulb and adding the Plant Gro the plants should do much better.

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
yeah it would help you can also use flourish to get the plants the needed nutrients they are lacking...

ken1508
02-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Put in a new bulb and will be adding half dose of the Plant Gro every couple of days. How long before I can see any changes in the plant color?