PDA

View Full Version : tell me snails are good please???

shalafi04
02-04-2008, 03:03 AM
i must have had some hitch hikers on my plants I purchased. I noticed two tiny little snails in my tank. Im just curious. Are snails a bad thing??? Or are a couple here and there okay???

squirt_12
02-04-2008, 03:04 AM
Well they can be both. Me i started out with 2-4 ramshorns snails which i thought was fine but then in bout 3-4 months i had about 100+ of them.

What kind are they???

Do you have loaches in the tank??

shalafi04
02-04-2008, 03:06 AM
my tank has 6 rummy nosed tetras, a twig cat, 2 peppered cories, and 2 rasboras.

I'll try to get a picture of the little buggers right now :)

squirt_12
02-04-2008, 03:08 AM
my tank has 6 rummy nosed tetras, a twig cat, 2 peppered cories, and 2 rasboras.

I'll try to get a picture of the little buggers right now :)
Well with that in the tank i think that they will just multiply......most likely...doesn't really matter what kind it will probably multiply....yeah i pic would be nice to tell you what kind it is.

Pr0eve
02-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Snails are ok, but they will have babes often, very often, but when you start getting to many just put a piece of lettes in there at night and in the morning you can pull some of them out..

karbomb
02-04-2008, 03:16 AM
they are only really a problem if you have plants. some snails, pond snails, will eat plants. i have MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails) and lots of them and they are actually good for a tank with plants, they root through the substrate and aerate the gravel. just keep in mind they have a bio load of their own.

shalafi04
02-04-2008, 03:18 AM
okay i got the best picture ever ! lol GO ME!!!!
heres a picture of the giant one I found while looking for a different one I saw earlier!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mistyart/101_4521.jpg

What Fish will eat them or whatever they do to get rid of them?
dont mind me dying plant, my daughters goldfish was living there for a while, and he had his way with it lol

shalafi04
02-04-2008, 03:34 AM
any takers on iding this little brat?

fraggle
02-04-2008, 03:37 AM
Sorry I can't help Misty, was just going to say that if they've been in there since 2004, you've done well to only keep them at 2! LOL:c12:

karbomb
02-04-2008, 03:44 AM
those are MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails) they are fine.
they just reproduce like crazy.
google them and you will find all the info you need on them.
only certain types of loaches will eat them, as they have very hard shells. and they are mostly nocturnal

muffin
02-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Here is your ID:
Malaysian Trumpet Snail
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Melanoides_tuberculata.php

shalafi04
02-04-2008, 03:51 AM
thanks everyone!!! yay! you're all so smart! :) super. and they sound sooo fancy.

karbomb
02-04-2008, 03:51 AM
another thing, they are live bearers, even if you only have one they will reproduce and they don't lay eggs.

shalafi04
02-04-2008, 04:01 AM
is there any type of fish that will control the population or do i just have to do the population control on my own?

karbomb
02-04-2008, 04:04 AM
like i said only certain types of loaches, i know polka dot loaches and i think clown loaches will eat them

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 04:15 AM
depending on the type and how much they produce you may wanna leave them there to clean but your tank may get overran with them.......

karbomb
02-04-2008, 04:56 AM
yeah they definitely are great tank cleaners. i like mine, they have lots of character too.

PUNISHER VETTE
02-04-2008, 05:09 AM
my tanks only a few months old and they have spread FAST. Mine aren't the same kind you have but did come on my plants. The little things don't stay little and the second i saw a bigger one it creeped the crap out of me. Little things disgust me and i don't want them. People looking at the tank notice them before anything else.

I just got some Snail-no-more to see if that works even though i heard bad things that it doesn't. If not i'll see about getting a loach to kill them.

karbomb
02-04-2008, 05:13 AM
MTS stay small, at the biggest they will get to be 1" long. mine usually are only 3/4 of inch long.

ken1508
02-04-2008, 06:56 AM
I got a yoyo loach two weeks ago to get rid of the invading snails as suggested by others here. There are still some snails around so I can't really determine if the yoyo loach has eaten any. Has anyone observed their yoyo loach actually munching on a snail?

shalafi04
02-04-2008, 07:02 AM
like i said only certain types of loaches, i know polka dot loaches and i think clown loaches will eat them

thanks karbomb. I suppose if/when they get out of control, i will be going polka dot hunting :)

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Dead snails are my favorite.

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 08:04 AM
hahaha I'm sure Carl and Jarvis would like some snails....hmmmm.... Carl already ate my friends cory cat I was keeping overnight for him..... poor little guy....

hpt84
02-04-2008, 02:20 PM
The population bloom will die down when there isn't enough algae to feed all of them. Just make sure you dont overfeed your fish and have fish hanging around.

shalafi04
02-04-2008, 05:41 PM
The population bloom will die down when there isn't enough algae to feed all of them. Just make sure you dont overfeed your fish and have fish hanging around.

noted.

now that the goldfish are out of the 40gal. i think that they will find the food levels less than appealing. it doesn't take alot of food to fed a hand full of tetra and some algea eaters

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
should help out a little do water changes to reduce the nutrients and keep the sunlight outta the tank. reduce light to only a couple hours a day and slow down feeding the other fish.... the snails will dissappear. If I got hitchhikers I just net em and bye bye......

shalafi04
02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
should help out a little do water changes to reduce the nutrients and keep the sunlight outta the tank. reduce light to only a couple hours a day and slow down feeding the other fish.... the snails will dissappear. If I got hitchhikers I just net em and bye bye......

the tank is still cycling so i cant do any water changes. and my stupid house never gets sunlight. its like this thing is placed under a permenant cloud lol. :/ its so lame.

but ill keep an eye out for the buggers.

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 09:04 PM
yeah you definetely don't want to do any changes while it is cycling.....

sen5241b
02-05-2008, 02:32 AM
We've had the same snail and it started with one so small I thought is was a little piece of fish poop --now we have 18 gazillion. They can be good because the clean up the aquarium gravel. But when they eat they multiply exponentially! The "Had a Snail" solution does not work well killing this kind of snail.

Solution: Pick them out by hand or net and UNDER feed your fish. Let little or no food rest on the bottom.

To eradicate them, you'll have to break down the aquarium:
1) put some of the water and fish somewhere else like maybe a clean 5 gallon drum.
2) Soak ornaments, rocks, wood, etc. for 24 hours in an overdose of "Had a Snail". Put them back in last.
3) Throw out all gravel! (BTW, don't introduce another unwanted, foreign species into your region of the country).
4) Put old water and fish back in aquarium and add new water. The old water will help reduce another cycle.

karbomb
02-05-2008, 04:00 AM
MTS don't eat algae, they eat left over fish food and plant material.
they really aren't bad for your tank. i wouldn't use any chemicals to eradicate them. if there gets to be more then you'd like just put a cucumber slice in a olive jar over night and you can dispose of them if needed.
there are also a lot of people who might would want your snails too.
they really aren't pests.