PDA

View Full Version : New to live plants. do all need CO2?

Sinnbox
02-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Hi, Im looking into getting into live plants, I bought some plastic plants back in the day that looked cool with some Neon Tetras we had. I'm now wanting to go to a natural look in a tank im planning on putting together this spring/summer. I am also wondering if there are any plants that don't require CO2. if not how hard is it to use CO2 and is it expensive? I hope to have a small current in this tank, are there plants that are better in a current?

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 12:11 AM
co2 is not hard, howeverit is expensive..... google these and look at prices

substrate heater
eco-complete
co2 regulator hes a link to azgardens.....

http://www.azgardens.com/newCO22.php

There are some awesome thread on here about plants and setup, also read as much literature as you can.........

digital3
02-04-2008, 12:30 AM
It's a good idea to supplement your tank with some form of CO2 if you plan on having live plants. There are different types available. I would definitely research it. If you're going to have plants you need to look at a few things.

- Lighting
- Substrate
- CO2
- Fertilization

All of these depend on the size of your tank and what types of plants you want to keep. It can be quite low maintenance or extremely involving. That's why it's a good idea to research what you want to keep and how much work you want to do before you take the plunge...

karbomb
02-04-2008, 12:36 AM
i don't have Co2 or a good substrate. i have gravel and it's been there for three years soaking up all sorts of crap. my plants are doing well.
i do however have good lighting on a timer.
anubias can grow very well without Co2 or good lighting. just attach it to a rock or piece of driftwood and it'll do fine.
java moss and java fern will also do well.
some crypts will also be ok.

Algenco
02-04-2008, 12:37 AM
if you don't go much over 2wpg you don't need it

Sinnbox
02-04-2008, 12:40 AM
i don't have Co2 or a good substrate. i have gravel and it's been there for three years soaking up all sorts of crap. my plants are doing well.
i do however have good lighting on a timer.
anubias can grow very well without Co2 or good lighting. just attach it to a rock or piece of driftwood and it'll do fine.
java moss and java fern will also do well.
some crypts will also be ok.

What kind of lighting do you have?

digital3
02-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Algenco and karbomb are right. And I should have been more specific and read your post better. While CO2 is a good idea, it isn't totally necessary either. But once again, this depends on what you want to have. This is why you have to be careful as to what you choose to keep. There have been some very good suggestions in this thread so far.

While you don't need to have the fanciest substrate to keep plants, you still need to be careful as to what it is you have. I always mention this because I used to have crushed shells in my substrate (which is very boneheaded if you have plants). But most people's substrate doesn't have that. I have to remember, that people aren't as retarded as me... :ezpi_wink1:

It's only if you have high lighting that you need to begin considering supplementing CO2. I have a 20 watt standard hood light (6700k) over my 10 gallon and I have a Java Fern growing fine in that, with no CO2. Even though I do supplement with Flourish Excel every once in a while, but that's just because I have it on hand.

karbomb
02-04-2008, 01:02 AM
What kind of lighting do you have?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1383400/cl0/coralife20aqualightpowercompactstriplight1x28watt

with a 6,700k bulb

Edit:
i also use flourish excel
and plant gro ferts

karbomb
02-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Algenco and karbomb are right. And I should have been more specific and read your post better. While CO2 is a good idea, it isn't totally necessary either. But once again, this depends on what you want to have. This is why you have to be careful as to what you choose to keep. There have been some very good suggestions in this thread so far.

While you don't need to have the fanciest substrate to keep plants, you still need to be careful as to what it is you have. I always mention this because I used to have crushed shells in my substrate (which is very boneheaded if you have plants). But most people's substrate doesn't have that. I have to remember, that people aren't as retarded as me... :ezpi_wink1:

It's only if you have high lighting that you need to begin considering supplementing CO2. I have a 20 watt standard hood light (6700k) over my 10 gallon and I have a Java Fern growing fine in that, with no CO2. Even though I do supplement with Flourish Excel every once in a while, but that's just because I have it on hand.

why is crushed shells in yer substrate bad if you have plants?
i have 100's of baby MTS shells in mine...

shockshockshad
02-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Since you have hi-light, you will need CO2. If you don't have hgh-light, or medium light, you don't need CO2

Sinnbox
02-04-2008, 02:24 AM
ok, this question is going to show how much of a Noob i am....What is substrate? I'm guessing it is what the plants are rooted into, how is substrate different than aquarium pebbles, does it contain soil? thanks sorry for the complete Noobishness of the question. lol.

karbomb
02-04-2008, 02:26 AM
substrate is what is on the bottom of your aquarium, whether it be gravel, sand, eco-complete, sand etc...
eco-complete is finer and has more nutrients in it and is specifically for plants.

Sinnbox
02-04-2008, 02:33 AM
is Eco-complete what you guys and girls would recomend?

karbomb
02-04-2008, 02:39 AM
in short, yes. if you are serious about plants eco-complete is the best option as a substrate for them.

digital3
02-04-2008, 02:53 AM
why is crushed shells in yer substrate bad if you have plants?
i have 100's of baby MTS shells in mine...

Crushed shells in your tank will raise the KH (hardness) in your tank, which isn't good for plants. Sure enough when I removed my substrate that had the crushed shells my plants started doing a lot better and my KH dropped considerably. I'm talking crushed sea shells.

Sinnbox
02-04-2008, 03:33 AM
I have alot of Snails in my current tank, will their shells make my tank water hard? also I am thinking about possibly putting some plants in my piranha tank, are there any good plants that you would recomend? Thanks again for all the helpfull tips.

digital3
02-04-2008, 03:43 AM
I really don't think so.

Even though snail shells can affect your parameters. It would have to be enormous.

People buy substrate with crushed shells to raise the hardness and PH in their water for Cichlids or other fish that require hard water. There are literally thousands of crushed shells in there. You would have to have a HUGE snail population to affect your parameters like that. And if that's the case, I think you have a bigger problem.

smaug
02-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi, Im looking into getting into live plants, I bought some plastic plants back in the day that looked cool with some Neon Tetras we had. I'm now wanting to go to a natural look in a tank im planning on putting together this spring/summer. I am also wondering if there are any plants that don't require CO2. if not how hard is it to use CO2 and is it expensive? I hope to have a small current in this tank, are there plants that are better in a current?
I have had very good success using only seachem excel as a co2 supplement.Co2 injection o and the yeast systems are of cource beneficial but hardly neccesary.If you are not using a powerful lighting system that kicks the plants respiration into high gear then you can do fine with no additional co2 at all.A`small currant in the tank is beneficial for plants as it keeps any small debris from settling on them as well as keeping waterborne nutrients circulating.Good luck with your plants.

AABatteries
02-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey, Im thinking of putting live plants in a 10g hex I'll be getting. I think I might sword leaf plants or whatever they're called.