PDA

View Full Version : UNEXPECTED GUPPY FRY

nix
09-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Uh oh... my female guppy just gave birth. I counted 12 fry and I don't have a separate tank or heater. I want to put them in another item of holding. Would it be possible to keep them in a large jar? But, if that is possible, is there any othe way of keeping the jar warm than buying another heater?
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
nix

nix
09-19-2006, 07:21 PM
another problem, what do i feed them?
thanx,
nix

nix
09-20-2006, 03:52 AM
please help me! LOL

nix
09-20-2006, 08:06 AM
we got a little nursery tank that floats in the big tank. I am glad we did because the female guppy was absolutely going for them!!! I have a few questions.
a) How old will they have to be before we know that they will survive?
b) How old are they before we know what gender they are?
c) what do we feed them? I read in a previous forum that we can just feed them crumbled up flakes. Is this true?
Thanx
nix

kimmers318
09-20-2006, 11:54 AM
With my platy fry I usually start out with frozen baby brine shrimp and then move up to crushed flake, but they have been known to be able to take the crushed flake from day one.
Don't know how fast guppies grow, but I would wait until they can't fit into another fish's mouth before releasing them into a tank with adult fish. I'm guessing you wish to keep all of the babies?

nix
09-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah- except our tank is already full and i was hoping to give them to some of my friends. How old are they before you know whether they are male or female?

William
09-20-2006, 10:31 PM
you can sex them rather early and 4-6 weeks should be enough.