PDA

View Full Version : Lavender bullies

Loopy
02-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi

I just joined this forum today and i was hoping someone could give me some advise concerning Lavender Gourami's. I purchased a pair to go into a freshwater tropical community tank a few weeks ago. In the past I have kept gourami's successfully with no aggression problems what so ever. The other fish that were in the tank included swordtails, angels, mixed coryodoras, glowlight tetra and a platy. Unfortunately the male gourami became very territorial and took command of 2/3rds of a mature 120 litre aquarium. He blow a bubble nest which remained for a few days but on its dispersion he became less aggressive allowing the other fish to move freely around the tank. Happily i thought this would be the end of the problem but no such luck. A few days later the aggression was bk but this time the female had also joined in!! I then noticed a significant amount of fry under a leaf in the males territory. Between them the gouramis have seen off 2 angels, 4 swordtails, a glowlight, and the platy within 24 hours. The remaining 2 angels being pinned down to one end of the tank. Does anyone have information or know where i can research these fish as I'd like to know more about their origin and behaviour. Thanx Loopy

Fishalicious
02-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Lavenders are a color morph from the original Three spot gourami - Trichogaster trichopterus. If you search google under the latin name you can find lot's of info.

I think the problem is your tank is too small to house different types of dominant territorial fish... this does not allow the other larger fish to escape the breeding Gourami's. 120 Liters is 30 Gallons. In a tank that size I would only keep the Lavenders and some smaller schooling fish as dithers... not any other larger fish as territory wise it does not work as you have found out.

Congrats on the fry!!!

Loopy
02-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi thanx for the reply the info is much appreciated.

I have to say I was rather amazed that they have bred in a community tank and so quickly, they've certainly taken us by surprise!! :ssuprised:

jbeining75
02-03-2008, 07:23 PM
welcome to ac and hpefully you find everything your looking for!!!!

gm72
02-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I am not familiar with a Lavender. Can you please post a picture? I love gouramis and am curious.

Loopy
02-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I am not familiar with a Lavender. Can you please post a picture? I love gouramis and am curious.

Hi this is a piccie of the male thumbs2:
Loopy

Lady Hobbs
02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Angels need about 15 gallons each. Your gourami's are aggressive especially right now because they are protecting their babies.