PDA

View Full Version : Man, my Rams are prude!

kkevvy
02-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Haha, yeah, they don't really do anything with each other now. Usually the female hangs out around back and my male hangs out around front. Sometimes they get close, with the female always facing and looking at him. Then he kinda lightly pecks him. He turns around and not so lightly pecks her. Thats all they do. Kinda dissapointing.

So is there anything I can do to make them breed? I heard raising the temp up to 85ish works. I have it at 82F now.

PH 6.4
Temp 82F
Densely planted. Plenty of hiding, including terracotta pot with java moss on it (that they pretty much never go in)
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10ish MAX
Weekly 25% water changes.

jbeining75
02-03-2008, 02:38 AM
don't raise the temps do a water change and flush the tank with slightly lower water temperatures like 76 or so, signifies rain and helps them... rams that aren't breeding will cower towards the top of the tank alot and they need to be moved before they are killed. give them somewhere to spawn to like flatrocks or a clay pot....

Incredulous_Ed
02-03-2008, 02:40 AM
Start feeding them frozen or live bloodworms or brine shrimp every other meal. Make sure their staple diet is very high quality.

kkevvy
02-03-2008, 02:47 AM
I feed them NLS Cichlid Formula. I'll do a change tomorrow. Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2008, 02:49 AM
And let nature take it's course. Are they still juvies?

Play music, light candles and dim the lights.

jbeining75
02-03-2008, 02:55 AM
thats what i say hobbs when people ask me about breeding

"Turn the lights down low, some Barry Manilow, candles, and rose peddles.." lol

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2008, 03:08 AM
And talk dirty.

kkevvy
02-03-2008, 04:48 AM
"oohh babyyy... that slime coat is looking goodddd"

haha. Thanks for the hints. I'll be sure to get some candles. I hope my parents don't walk in... that'd be awkward.

country_boy454
02-03-2008, 06:25 AM
"oohh babyyy... that slime coat is looking goodddd"

haha. Thanks for the hints. I'll be sure to get some candles. I hope my parents don't walk in... that'd be awkward.

Hi mom. Hi Dad. I swear this isn't what it looks like....................

NickFish
02-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Nice candle-light dinner, few glasses of wine, 'Talk Dirty to me' by Poison blarring on the stereo :wink2:

Your doing everything right, some live foods and patience should do it. Your temp and pH are ideal.