PDA

View Full Version : Pic of my redo on my redo :)

Lady Hobbs
02-02-2008, 11:04 PM
The 10 snails that remained in my tank had 20,000 babies each so I got mad and tore the tank apart. I pulled the plants out and shook the snot out of them to shake off any snails and put them all in my 29 gallon.

YES, it is cloudy. It's only been planted about half an hour. I use Soil Master Select and for those who don't know what it is, it's made by Oil-Dri and used for baseball fields. It's not made for planted tanks but is fine grained and is used by a lot of people. It's also $14 for 50 pounds which is a huge plus.
I add Laterite to the bottom of the tank.

This stuff is black when rinsed so I solved that problem. I don't rinse it. I dump it in the tank, plant my plants, lay a plastic bag across the plants and fill the tank putting the nozzle on the bag. Done deal. I could see the back of the tank the minute it had filled.

I will post another pic when it's cleared up by tonight.

I will probably have a set back with my tank. I hope not but I'm afraid I may. I took the biomax from my AC110 and added the bag to my filter on one side. Hopefully that will help matters.

OK How long before the snails will die off with no food in the tank?

sailor
02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't know about the snails lifespan without food as I have lucked out and ever only had 1 snail in my tanks and a clown loach nailed em. I imagine that will change tho when I set up a tank with real plants as I have heard thats where most of the snails come from is with live plants. Your choice of substrate sound really interesting, I've never heard of it before. I can't wait to see pics. Well I guess I have to wait lol, so bring on the pics.

Lady Hobbs
02-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I hate every pic I take of that tank. The darned background is black, not blue but it always comes up as puke blue. LOL

Soil Master Select is only sold by some John Deere Dealers and at Lesco's. It's used a lot by those in ThePlantedTank.com forum or I would never have known about it either. There's a red color and charcoal which is what I get.

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Hobbs....they will ive for a while.....the snails. I have about 50 in a little tank by themselves and they have been there for about....3-4 weeks. They last quite a while. I feed mine like 2 little crab pellets once every like 2 weeks. So your will last a little while i presume.

The tank looks good...other than the cloudiness. :thumb:

Lady Hobbs
02-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I just bet if I dumped some bleach it in the water they would go away.

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 11:32 PM
yup that would solve all of your problems. lol.

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 11:37 PM
nice little tank, is that a firemouth??

Dave66
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM

Hobbsy,
If you put six Botia striata in there, in about a month you'd be saying snail? What snail? Those Botia top out at 4 inches, and are cute as buttons. They aren't at all rare; ask your LFS to get them for you. Might be Spring before they show up on wholesale lists; as they are mostly wild caught, and the parents breed in the Spring.
They'd be perfect for your planted tank, and it'd soon be snail-less to boot.

Dave

Fishalicious
02-02-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm afraid you are going to run out of patience waiting for them to die...they will live off of the tiniest microscopic particles in the tank...and little bits of dying plant matter.. and to stave of starvation they may even start on the live plants...

I've tried the whole emptying a whole tank method and washing each plant - leaf for leaf and somehow they just turn up again.. I am sure Aliens beam them in there when we are not looking and have a good laugh at us.

Lovely tank though.. even with snails :ezpi_wink1: :ezpi_wink1: I don't mind snails much... they do their part in the aqua

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2008, 02:36 AM
No I'm not. They are dead and gone as we speak (write.) I dumped some bleach in the tank and with great pleasure, jumped up and down as they fell off the glass like flies. That tank is now empty anyway. I did two water changes and added dechlorinator. By the time it sees fish again, it will be all better.

Now I have a clear tank but a fuzzy picture.

Dave, it's over an hour to the store where they have them and with these icy roads and sub-degree temps, I will not be making that trip for awhile.

OK gm72. This is how to get a tank clear in 3 hours! LOL Just had to rub it in, you know.

Incredulous_Ed
02-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Looks much better now that its cleare dup!

jbeining75
02-03-2008, 02:46 AM
hmmm nice cleanup..... tank looks awesome no hobbs