PDA

View Full Version : Dark Algae

GSA190
02-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Is dark algae not right? What causes this. Btw I have my fluresent light on for my plants.

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 09:26 PM
less light in the tank and water changes will deplete nutrients. If the tank is planted you shouldn't have algae problems as the plants should suckup the nutrients... try to keep the lights off and keep the tank away from open windows....

Furface
02-08-2008, 02:05 PM
It's been my experience, and other people I know that the black algae grows in lower ph water. Crushed coral helps, my brother keeps a bag of it in his filter, I just mixed some right in the substrate. You might want to do some ph checks and aim for what the fish you have like. Perhaps aim for the higher side. My brother and I both had the black algae slowly die out. Patience, it takes time. At one time my tank had everything coated with it, sometimes it would even get feathery, it was hard to even scrub off. At a higher ph you will get more green algae. Plecos help with the green, but not much with the black. Seems even they couldn't get it off the rocks.
Furface

Algenco
02-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Do you mean blue-green algae? If so, it is a bacteria and should be treated differently.

GSA190
02-10-2008, 05:35 AM
no,its brown

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 06:07 AM
brown algae is a diatom so this changes everything.......... I would do a slight water change to flush some nutrients out but not a huge one as your other plants need nuts also..... Increase the light in your tank and if you have room grab some oto cats.... 3-4 work best.....