PDA

View Full Version : smallest gourami????

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 08:56 PM
ok so i know that i have been talking about getting some honey gouramis for the 10g BUT....i have been thinking about something.....

What is the smallest gourami you can get???
what min. size of tank can it go in?? 10g?
tank mates????
specific decor?? eg...planted?

you win.....pm me for some points

thanks.

shockshockshad
02-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I would say honey gourami. Floating plants, peaceful fish, min tank 5gallons.

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I thought that there were smaller gouramis???

shockshockshad
02-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't know of any others that are smaller. Dwarfs are actually bigger than honeys.

Tolley
02-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Dwarf or Honey but i've seen Bigger Honeys.
5g minmum for 1 but bigger is always better.
Floating plants for cover.
Does better with well oxygenated water.

thumbs2:

Fishalicious
02-02-2008, 09:06 PM
The Trichopsis pumila is the smallest there is and very pretty - sparkling dwarf gourami

They make little croaking sounds now and again which can be heard across the room (I have some here LOL) Sounds very much like the sound Predator makes in the movies.

You could keep 5 easily... with some floating plants

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Thans Fishalicious...could i keep a few in a 5g?? like 2???

EDIT - cause i am thinking of getting a little 5g for either a betta or something else....what do you say??

Tolley
02-02-2008, 09:08 PM
ah forgot that one, its upto you really. its not tht much smaller maybe half an inch. probably have to keep in same tank size.

Sasquatch
02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I beleive that Sparkling Gouramis are the smallest.

The issue will not be bioload so much as territoriality among the gouramis. You can put 1 dwarf gourami (or honey, or sparkling) in a 5g, but you'd probably be better off with a 15-20 if you want two, just so they have space apart.

On the other hand, you can have one gourami as a "central attraction" and a school of other small fish as well. Pigmy cories, neons, cardinals and other small fish can be put in schools of 6-7 along with the gourami to add life to the tank.

In a 10g, you could probably get away with 2 Sparkling gourami if there's some cover. 2 honeys or dwarfs might be pushing the territoriality a little.

Fishalicious
02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
The Trichopsis Pumila only grows to 1.3 inches.... and they are very slender (betta shape) unlike the chuna..

Maybe you are confusing the Pumila with the Vittata or Schalleri Tolley which grow slightly larger but look identical.

You could easily keep 3 Pumila in a 5 Gallon - try to get 1 male / 2 females

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
On the other hand, you can have one gourami as a "central attraction" and a school of other small fish as well. Pigmy cories, neons, cardinals and other small fish can be put in schools of 6-7 along with the gourami to add life to the tank.
in the 10g of course right????

well if i was to get the honeys i was going to get 4 of them and if they show agression split them up.

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 09:15 PM
The Trichopsis Pumila only grows to 1.3 inches.... and they are very slender (betta shape) unlike the chuna..

Maybe you are confusing the Pumila with the Vittata or Trichopsis which grow slightly larger but look identical.

You could easily keep 3 Pumila in a 5 Gallon - try to get 1 male / 2 females
ok....well thats what i was thinking....cause i have a spot in my room where i could put another tank and i was wanting something smaller with something nice in it. I already have 1 betta and am going to be getting another, for the tank that my other one was in, so i wanted something different..hmmmm...

Fishalicious
02-02-2008, 09:17 PM
The Trichopsis are not like their bigger counterpart gourami's - they are not territorial and hardly fight - they will flair at each other and swim in circles whilst clicking at each other but that is as far as it goes...

I must say though they are quite shy so lot's of plants will keep them happy...I have 4 Pumila's in a 7 Gallon who live happily together and breed frequently

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 09:21 PM
The Trichopsis are not like their bigger counterpart gourami's - they are not territorial and hardly fight - they will flair at each other and swim in circles whilst clicking at each other but that is as far as it goes...

I must say though they are quite shy so lot's of plants will keep them happy...I have 4 Pumila's in a 7 Gallon who live happily together and breed frequently
ok...thanks Fishalicious.....

how much do they normally go where you live??? like $5-10?? cause i have never seen them around here before.

Fishalicious
02-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah they are around $4 - $6 - you'll be amazed at how tiny they are ... but very cute :thumb:

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah they are around $4 - $6 - you'll be amazed at how tiny they are ... but very cute :thumb:
so are they like a neon tetra size???? that is cool...cause most gouramis grow atleast a few inches. lol.

Fishalicious
02-02-2008, 09:34 PM
They actually stay smaller than a fully grown Neon! :ezpi_wink1:

You could add a harem of Dario Dario to the ground - they are beautiful and really interesting to watch - they are a lot like mini dwarf cichlids in their behaviour

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 09:49 PM
They actually stay smaller than a fully grown Neon! :ezpi_wink1:

You could add a harem of Dario Dario to the ground - they are beautiful and really interesting to watch - they are a lot like mini dwarf cichlids in their behaviour
wow....that is small.....lol.

harem????
and that would be in a 10g right??? i wouldn't beable to get away with that many in a 5g.

Fishalicious
02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Nah you could fit a harem of Dario Dario in a 5g for the bottom layer... they are also really small ... they stay under 1 inch in size!!! But are full of character like I said 'super mini dwarf cichlids'

Have a look on google for Badis bengalensis or Dario Dario... sure you will fall in love with them... they are beauties

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Nah you could fit a harem of Dario Dario in a 5g for the bottom layer... they are also really small ... they stay under 1 inch in size!!! But are full of character like I said 'super mini dwarf cichlids'

Have a look on google for Badis bengalensis or Dario Dario... sure you will fall in love with them... they are beauties
Yeah they are awesome......they have soooo much colour...they are beauties.

What exactly does harem mean???

and how many of the

sparkling dwarf gouramis and Dario Dario could i have in a 5g??

P.S.
I don't even know if any of my LFS's can order in Dario Dario....what kind is it??? eg. cichlid, tetra, etc...

shockshockshad
02-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Dario darios are in the dario family.:ezpi_wink1:

Fishalicious
02-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Harems are 1 male / 2 females

You could keep 3 of each - 3 Dario's and 3 Pumila's and some small shrimp to help clean (I never count shrimp in set-ups as they clean more than they produce anything)

There have been many arguments where the Dario's belong some even saying they were a kind of dwarf cichlid... they are in fact in the Badidae family - so perch-like.

They are a really stunning color and so interesting.... I think they get overlooked as they are so tiny

squirt_12
02-03-2008, 12:10 AM
wow...i didn't think i could keep that many fish in a little 5g..

cool i never knew thats what a Harem ment....but i was reading on the net that females are difficult to come by...so would it be fine if i got like 2-3 males? like if i couldn't get any females?? or even 2 males 1 female?????

thanks.

Fishalicious
02-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Your talking about fish that are under 1 inch and the others hardly above so yeah...

You can take 2-3 males but be sure they have enough little hidey holes - they are like mini cichlids so are territorial (without the killing though) If they don't have any females at all I would try with 2 males first...

karbomb
02-03-2008, 12:58 AM
this post got me thinking about other fish that can live in a 5g, i started a new post as not to hijack this one. but those dario darios are adorable. i really want some now.

squirt_12
02-03-2008, 01:03 AM
YOU WIN!!!! PM me for some points!!!!
Fishalicious....would some stuff like clay pots work for hiding holes?? or should i do something different?????

Fishalicious
02-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Heavy planting and those tiny tiny little clay pots you get with aquatic stem plants - 1 for each Dario although they are free spawners their own little 'hideout' will help with territory

squirt_12
02-03-2008, 01:12 AM
ok....thanks....

is there anything else that i can use as a hiding place???

Fishalicious...would you beable to post a pic of what your tank looks like with these fish in it????

Fishalicious
02-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Sure no problem...I'll post one up tomorrow - it's 2am here LOL not sure you will be able to see the fish though as they are so small :ezpi_wink1:

squirt_12
02-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Sure no problem...I'll post one up tomorrow - it's 2am here LOL not sure you will be able to see the fish though as they are so small :ezpi_wink1:
wow...its late there....thats alright if i can't see the fish.....i just want to see the setup that you have......sounds cool.

jbeining75
02-03-2008, 01:21 AM
squirt you are having a crazy time with these gourami lol..... this is the second long post in two days, but I admire it... you are getting all the info you can so you do it right the first time.... I wish all aquarists were like that.......

squirt_12
02-03-2008, 01:27 AM
squirt you are having a crazy time with these gourami lol..... this is the second long post in two days, but I admire it... you are getting all the info you can so you do it right the first time.... I wish all aquarists were like that.......
yeah i always research, research, and research before getting the fish. Like i will have to see if i can order these in cause i kow for a fact my LFS's don't carry them on a normal basis and i have to set up a tank. So yeah....this is the best thing and aquarist can do...never stop until you have EVERYTHING you nedd + more......

Fishalicious
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Here it is... as I said you cannot see a lot... the little pots are hidden between the plant roots.. the tank is 7G and has 7x Pseudepiplatys annulatus, 3 x Dario Dario & cherry shimp... I have a few of these 7G tanks in the house with different 'mini' fish.

squirt_12
02-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Here it is... as I said you cannot see a lot... the little pots are hidden between the plant roots.. the tank is 7G and has 7x Pseudepiplatys annulatus, 3 x Dario Dario & cherry shimp... I have a few of these 7G tanks in the house with different 'mini' fish.
WOW....thats amazing.....i love all of the plants..

what kind of lighting do you have on it???? cause i was thinking live plants but i don't know yet.

Fishalicious
02-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks... it's a bit of a mess... I just have the normal lamp above that comes with the tank which is 11 Watt

squirt_12
02-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks... it's a bit of a mess... I just have the normal lamp above that comes with the tank which is 11 Watt
its a mess???? yeah right...it looks awesome...i would never beable to get a tank to look anything near that.
So it is just a standard 11 Watt flourescent (sp?) bulb??? hhmmm....i could do that.....so that would be like..2w/g on a 5g. hmmm....you have got my little mind a thinkin'.......

If you don't mind...what all plants do you have in yours??? cause it would be hard to find plants that are small enough to stay in a 10g wouldn't it????

Thanks so much Fishalicious for sticking with me and answering all of my questions...you rock :thumb:

squirt_12
02-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Ok so i have doing some thinking......i wouldn't beable to do this for about a month or so...+ the cycling. So i want to get a stocking straight:
3 Dario's
3 sparkling dwarf gouramis
and about 6 cherry shrimp??? would i beable to use ghost???

EDIT - that is also if i can get the Dario's

Fishalicious
02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Stocking is fine... although I would make it 10 shrimp with any of the dwarf shrimp (don't mix though as they may crossbreed) Shrimp feel happier in bigger groups ...

Plants in that tank are:
Rotala rotundifolia
Nymphoides ezannoi - I would change this as it get's too big
Cryptocoryne wentii
Riccia fluitans
Monoselenium tenerum

Planting scheme attached

I am working on a nano with only 2 plant types and no CO2 / high lighting / or plant food etc. will post pics tomorrow - nice budget aquascape

squirt_12
02-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Thanks Fishalicious!!!!:thumb: You are the best.

Those plants are really nice and i think that i will take a look into those plants and see what i can do. I would probably get a few different ones that stay fairley small.

Ok...then it would be:
10 shrimp (either cherry or ghost)
3 Dario's
3 sparkling gouramis.

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 12:24 AM
so sparkling dwarf gourami it is....

squirt_12
02-05-2008, 12:28 AM
so sparkling dwarf gourami it is....
huh??? what do you mean????

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 12:29 AM
thats your decision of whats going in the tank is what I meant sorry....lol

squirt_12
02-05-2008, 12:30 AM
thats your decision of whats going in the tank is what I meant sorry....lol
o...hahaha no thats not your fault....i was just dumb and didn't understaqnd what you ment. Yeah it is. For the gouramis. But if i can get dario's then they are going in to. This is for the 5g i want to get. If i can't get the 5g then they will go into the 10g. lol. But i am hoping for the 5g as i have a perfect spot for it. lol.

jackie t
01-05-2018, 05:00 PM
sparkling gourami

Slaphppy7
01-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Very old thread, now closed.