PDA

View Full Version : Oscar tank in distress

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 04:01 PM
So the other day I gave my brother my Aquaclear 110 off my 55 gallon. I have another fully cycled.. I put his brand new one on stress zymed the tank and believe it or not my ammonia went from .25 to 2 in four hours. I am now running ammonia remover in both 110's and the ammonia level hasn't moved. I run no carbon. So today I Amquel+ ed the tank. I'm scared they are gonna get burnt. Another day or two at 2 and they will be..... Any other ideas. I have moved feeding to once a day, stress zymed the tank with each water change plus an extra dose to help bacteria get going, added ammonia remover to my filters and amquel'ed it. Oh yeah thats not to mention the 2 50% water changes I've done in the last 18 hours. The ammonia just keeps shooting back up. I think the new filter is recycling my tank and I really don't want my albino tiger oscar to be just a tiger oscar.... ammonia burn sucks.... anything else I can do. I got the tank salted and the airstones blasting as amquel nukes the water. It was a last resort and I really didn't want to use it but I can't let them sit in ammonia levels that toxic to long.

Lady Hobbs
02-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Oh Oh. I think you better get that filter back from your brother to save your own fish. I don't understand what did this with a seasoned filter on there.

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't either I've never seen this happen. The initial dose of amquel dropped it down to 1.0. I'm gonna dose it again tomorrow and do water changes in between. Hes got fish in his tank already I can't take it back lol.... aww see being nice isn't always the right thing lol.... At least his ammonia is at zero lol

If I can keep it 1 or under they won't burn for a long period.... The amquel helped.. hopefully it stays down there. 0 would be wonderful....

Lady Hobbs
02-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Hope you can get it squared away soon. Feed the Oscar as little as possible for now so you aren't getting ammonia from food rotting. He can go a few days at a time.

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah I'm only feeding them 4 nls lg fish pellets a day. I may cut back to 3. I've also cut my plecos from 4 to 2.

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Hobbs I've never had a fish in this situation before. If my albino oscar burns will the black markings stay or disappear.

gm72
02-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Not sure about the burns staying or healing, but this is most strange. Obviously the bioload is far greater than we originally thought.

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I had 4 plecos all around 5 inches and two 5 inch oscars. I don't overfeed them. I was in the process of getting the plecos out as I was holding them for my brother... 8 years with Oscars I have never seen a spike this bad in an established tank..... hmmm I'm so frustrated right now.....

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I got it.... It's the stupid water company. They are registering higher levels of toxins in the water over the past week, aparently something froze and broke and the waters messed up I just seen it on the tv.... no wonder the water changes didn't work.... off to walmart I go for some nice fresh springwater (probably also straight outta a tap)......

gm72
02-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Wow, not good but at least you have it figured out! Hope those fish are okay.