PDA

View Full Version : Moving Cross Country

gwenkat
09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi all. I have a friend who will be moving from North Carolina to California in about a month. She has a 10 gallon set up with live plants and 2 mollies. I told her I would ask all the smart helpful people here how she can move her tank. She is driving and it will take about 4-5 days. What is the best way for her to transport her set up? Thank you all.

Full3R
09-18-2006, 03:18 PM
well shed have to bag the fish is all i know and the best idea would be bag them using oxygen that way the fish can stay alive in a bag for up to 8 hours

gwenkat
09-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Are you saying she should change the bag every 8 hours? She will be driving 4 or 5 days.

MagickFish
09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
I would recomend selling or giving the fish away and get a few new ones once she move in, it is not wise to travel that long whit fish, even if she change the wather every eight houers the chance the fish will die is rather big.

NorthernBoy
09-18-2006, 09:28 PM
When I moved from San Fran to MN i sold my fish and insured the crap out of my 55 gal tank and shipped it. Figured that if it broke i would get a new one. I drove with all the lights and another 29 gallon in the back of a penske. Made it alive. Most stores will not buy the fish but will take them in. Some will allow you to "rent space in a quarentine tank and then they will ship to you but it is really expensive.

William
09-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Can you have anyone look after your fish and than ship it with airfreight to you in your new home?

Full3R
09-19-2006, 09:07 AM
yeah i accidently read that 4 - 5 days as hours sorry

gwenkat
09-19-2006, 10:10 PM
I figured she would be better off finding them a home, but I thought I would ask. If anyone knew a way she could keep them it would be you all. Thank you for the advice.

kimmers318
09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
I have heard of battery operated units to keep a filter or aerator running, but have to agree that 4-5 days would probably be way to stressful on the fish. Plants might be okay if kept in water, but it would be easiest to restock once you get to the new destination. This way the tank can be set up slowly too instead of running around like crazy trying to get it set back up.

stubbytheplecostomus
09-20-2006, 02:46 PM
a cooler with water changes everyday(bring conditioned tap water from her old home) she should be able to make it, after having fosters and smith ship me a few saltwater fish, i believe anything is possible! you can get ac/dc converters for cars so you can plug in a intank filter or an airpump/sponge filter.

gwenkat
10-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the advice gang. I think we decided that if my new tank was set up in time, I would fish sit until she has the tank set up again. Then I will ship her the fish. The other idea is that I keep it and she buys more in California. This is probably the most likely choice.