PDA

View Full Version : Clown loach problem

disey50blue
02-02-2008, 02:57 AM
We have 7 clown loaches in a large tank 5' x 2' x 2.5'. We also have 4 bala sharks and 2 plecos. The fish all appear very healthy and energetic but one clown loach is struggling to remain upright. We had a clown loach with this condition before and he ended up laying on the bottom on his side struggling to breathe so we had to euthanase him. The current fish with this problem swims ok and seems energetic some of the time but we think this is just the beginning and will end up like the last one. The other fish seem to be trying to help him by pushing him to swim. We have checked on the internet but have been unable to find a solution. Does anyone know what causes this and is there a remedy? We love our loaches and would hate to lose another one. We have had these fish for approx 12 months.

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 04:12 AM
probably swim bladder... see if you can hanf feed him deshelled peas to get him going.... If its a parasite inside the bladder there is probably no help but if hes just constpated and everything is squeezing the swim bladder that could be a problem also.

seamajor
02-02-2008, 10:33 AM
I've had the same problem a few times, both when the loachs were being treated for ich, a added some MelaFix, and the fishes in question survived and are fine now. I like how these fish look after eachother. :1luvu:

disey50blue
02-03-2008, 05:11 AM
We have put some peas in the tank and they have gone crazy over them. Hope this works, time will tell!

sailor
02-03-2008, 05:14 AM
Epsom salts at the rate of 1 cup per 100 gallons is good for flushing out fishes systems.

jbeining75
02-03-2008, 05:14 AM
yeah the peas should clear their bellies out hopefully its just constipation and not the bladder pinched or broke...... this is kinda a sick question i guess but it helps alot. When the loaches are swimming around is there still poop hanging out alot. If so probably constipation and the bag is being pinched.....

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2008, 05:15 AM
What have you been feeding them? Loaches eat lots of veggie matter and fruits. Careful they aren't getting meat products too much. Blood worms now and then only.

seamajor
02-08-2008, 10:02 AM
What sort of fruit do you use?
This is v interesting. I've never fed mine fruit.

bluekrissyspikes
02-09-2008, 05:04 AM
i've tried feeding my loaches apple, banana and orange with no success. they were somewhat interested in cantalope. they like peas, zuccini, cucumber and brocolli.

Arkie
02-09-2008, 05:15 AM
my clowns love zuccini and cucumber too. thumbs2:

seamajor
02-09-2008, 06:10 AM
I've regularly used zucchini not much else. I threw in a few peas...no one was interested...do you need to cook them? I'll have to try the others,used carrot once there was a little interest.