PDA

View Full Version : Ack!!!!!

robnepper
02-02-2008, 12:40 AM
I think one of my new female guppies just got columnaris. Has anyone treated for this. I don't have a hospital tank but I do have my ten that is currently housing my about to pop female. ???????

robnepper
02-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Never mind. She's gone. Sad.

country_boy454
02-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss....

robnepper
02-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss....
Thanks. Irritating though. I HATE not being able to give animals the best chance possible. You try to give them every thing they need.....

Oh well.

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 05:01 AM
sorry for the loss...sorry we couldn't help soon enough

squirt_12
02-02-2008, 05:05 AM
sorry for the loss :(

NickFish
02-02-2008, 02:58 PM
sorry for your loss.....sometimes there's nothing people can do.

robnepper
02-02-2008, 10:50 PM
thanks guys. I've never seen anything that fast before. In the morning she was great. By the time I got home, not so good. I came out to post my question and by the time I had gone back in, she was stuck to a VERY low flow filter. I don't think there was any saving her.

Every thing I have read says that the cause of columnaris is a bit of a mystery. Can't win 'em all I guess.

AquaBANG
02-04-2008, 05:31 AM
thanks guys. I've never seen anything that fast before. In the morning she was great. By the time I got home, not so good. I came out to post my question and by the time I had gone back in, she was stuck to a VERY low flow filter. I don't think there was any saving her.

Every thing I have read says that the cause of columnaris is a bit of a mystery. Can't win 'em all I guess.
what are the symptoms of columnaris? How did you identify so?

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 05:34 AM
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm

here this will answer all your questions about cotton mouth.... id white lecions mostly....

Darkstar824
02-10-2008, 12:54 PM
i had a guppy with columnaris-unfortunatley she didn;t survive but what really pained me was that she suffered for several days on end. i tried everything and nothing helped. i also think i didn;t treat her in time. well i know better next time, hopefully there won;t BE a next time- columnaris is an ugly disease. i hear that these things help with treating it . just as a reference for future guppies that may or may not get it. i do know it is contagious and i believe there are 2 kinds- 1 that kills within hours, 1 that kills within several days. i think yours had the first one. both are pretty bad.

anyway, four things

1-pristine, clean water-daily water changes
2-temp of 74 degrees-any higher is a breeding ground for the disease
3-LOTS of aquarium salt-about 1 tablespoon for every 3-5 gallons
4-good, strong filtration

i hear if you don;t attack columnaris with ALL these things your medicine is worrthless. just thought i would post this as a guide not just for guppies but other fishies as well. oh, and feeding antibacterial food wouldnt hurt either because fish can get internal bacterial infections as well. accompanying the disease.