PDA

View Full Version : Plant lighting etc

Rquatics
02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
hello everybody...

quick question...can't seem to understand which lighting to use for my planted tank??

herd of something called the 6700K and the 10000K...what is this?? how does it work???

also wondering if I add some Potassium Nitrate... would that help my plants grow?? (would this harm fish??)

should I use the eco substrate thingie??? (would this harm fish??)

I got some java fern, java moss, saggitaria, hornwort, riccia...

thanks in advance.

smaug
02-01-2008, 09:44 PM
hello everybody...

quick question...can't seem to understand which lighting to use for my planted tank??

herd of something called the 6700K and the 10000K...what is this?? how does it work???

also wondering if I add some Potassium Nitrate... would that help my plants grow?? (would this harm fish??)

should I use the eco substrate thingie??? (would this harm fish??)

I got some java fern, java moss, saggitaria, hornwort, riccia...

thanks in advance.
The 6700k/10000k thing is kelvin,it describes how the light looks,the lower the number the more yellow it looks.6700k is what you want.I am unsure what you mean by pottasium nitrate,if it is marketed as an aquarium fert then go for it,follow its instructions.If it is some chem you have setting around or its something ment for terrestrial plants then do not.For substrate use the eco complete by all means or get fluorite by seachem,again,follow the instructions.No it wont harm the fish.Your plant list sounds nice,how powerful of a light are you contemplating?Here I go again with watts per gal.It is not the perfect formula but you want 2-3 wpg of 6700k light from a bulb such as a compact fluorecant fixture would use.Incandesent are useless.Please feel free to ask more questions.

digital3
02-02-2008, 07:41 AM
As smaug stated the 6700/10000k thing is kelvin rating. For plants, you can use a bulb anywhere within that range. The primary difference is the color. How big is your tank? If you want to keep plants, you need to look at, at least 2 watts per gallon (wpg).

Keep in mind though that the high WPG you go, the more you may need to look into adding CO2 to your tank. I would highly research that first. You can try www.rexgrigg.com (http://www.rexgrigg.com/) for some really awesome info on keeping aquatic plants.

Potassium Nitrate is a Nitrate supplement. You want to add it to keep your Nitrates at around 5-10 ppm. However, you may already have Nitrates in your tank and may not need it. You're going to have to test for it. In fact, I would definitely test for it before you think about adding it. Furthermore, Potassium Nitrate is usually used in conjunction with other Macro-Nutrient type fertilizers. Definitely check out the website I listed above for further info, as explaining that would fill up this whole page (especially, since I'm still getting the facts nailed down myself). I myself am on a plant adventure also.

Eco-Complete is an excellent plant substrate. Many people suggest using the Eco-Complete in conjunction with a bottom thin layer of Laterite. Using this would be an excellent start for your plants.

Good luck!

Rquatics
02-05-2008, 05:15 PM
hi thanks guys,

i have a multi tank sump thing happening... so i was thinking of having 1 or 2 10-15 gal tanks with the substrate and the plants...so i guess a smaller size light will work...

i was looking on the net and found like a million different kinds of lights...that's why i was totally confused...

i'm going over the site D3...thanks...
any further advice/help is always welcome.

R