PDA

View Full Version : honey gourami

squirt_12
01-31-2008, 11:11 PM
so i was wondering if i could fit any honey gouramis into my 10g tank???
right now there are onlt some swordtail fry in there and they arn't the biggest deal.
will the gouramis eat them??? at my LFS the gouramis are about 1" big?? but if they get eaten it wont break my heart.

how many could i fit into a 10g??

thanks. :thumb:

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Honeys are usually docile peaceful fish best schooled at least 3's. They grow to around 2 inches, 2 and a half maybe.

squirt_12
01-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Honeys are usually docile peaceful fish best schooled at least 3's. They grow to around 2 inches, 2 and a half maybe. Are you worried about the gouramis being the aggressor or vice versa.
no i am not worried about them being aggressive....i just think that they look cool and would like some and since the 10g is pretty well empty i could put some in there. My LFS had 4 when i was there and they can order in more if they need to.....so what do you say??

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 11:24 PM
From what I'm reading on numerous sights honey gourami can be kept with swordtails in a community tank, but how much are you gonna pack it in. How many swordtail are left.

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
inch of fish per gallon of water your looking at 4 honey gourami, maybe 5...thats without the swordtails. Depends how much you wanna load in there. As far as peacefulness I see no problem...

squirt_12
01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
From what I'm reading on numerous sights honey gourami can be kept with swordtails in a community tank, but how much are you gonna pack it in. How many swordtail are left.
there are about 18 fry so....yeah thats all....and the fry are about 4 days old. But i will be getting rid of them as soon as they are old enough to go into a community tank. LIke i have friends who will put them in their tanks. But other than that there is nothing in the tank....few ramshorns snails.

squirt_12
01-31-2008, 11:27 PM
inch of fish per gallon of water your looking at 4 honey gourami, maybe 5...thats without the swordtails. Depends how much you wanna load in there. As far as peacefulness I see no problem...
well i will prob. get maybe 2 for starters and then upgrade to 4......but i might just get all 4 at once....lol.

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 11:28 PM
so if the swordtail are gone you can probablty fit four or five honey gourami in there without killing the bioload. What filtration you use.

travie
01-31-2008, 11:31 PM
If just the honeys, go with the 4 to 5 like the previous people have said.

cocoa_pleco
02-01-2008, 12:09 AM
i would get 4

~Erik3.8.07~
02-01-2008, 02:38 AM
agreed, id get about 4 and maybe a couple cories

squirt_12
02-01-2008, 02:58 AM
my filter is a whisper 20. Rated for 20 gallons. So it is good. and i have a powerhead in there too. lol. I know that it does nothing for filter but anyways.....

ok so i think i will go with 4 of them. If they eat the fry they eat them. lol.

thanks everyone :thumb:

jbeining75
02-01-2008, 03:00 AM
Yeah powerhead will keep the water moving though so you don't have any dead spots. I think the tank will look awesome with 4 honey gourami....

squirt_12
02-01-2008, 03:04 AM
ok well i have another question...

Does it matter that there is no gravel in it right now??? in about 5 days i will be putting gravel in it. Right now the tank is on the floor so it is hard to siphon the water out so i took the gravel out and it is easier. But i got a stand and i just have to get it ready and set-up and then put the tanks on it. (the 10g and 20g) it is a big stand. lol.

So i will get 4 of them. The ones at my LFS are red and very appealing. lol.

jbeining75
02-01-2008, 03:06 AM
Are you referring to putting the gourami in with no gravel. Wonder how many swordtails get buried when you do dump the gravel???

squirt_12
02-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Are you referring to putting the gourami in with no gravel. Wonder how many swordtails get buried when you do dump the gravel???
Well i have to move the tank so i will just make sure they are all on the one side......and the fry all stay at the top together in a clan so they will be fine. lol.

jbeining75
02-01-2008, 03:11 AM
right I got ya. Gourami are mid water anyways no gravel isnt gonna hurt them only problem is gourami like top floating brush. There gonna be up there with the fry until you get somewhere for them to hide on the ground. Try to use big bushy plants as they like to hover in clumped plants.

squirt_12
02-01-2008, 03:13 AM
right I got ya. Gourami are mid water anyways no gravel isnt gonna hurt them only problem is gourami like top floating brush. There gonna be up there with the fry until you get somewhere for them to hide on the ground. Try to use big bushy plants as they like to hover in clumped plants.
yup i will have some plants in there....probably some live ones. thanks jbeining75

jbeining75
02-01-2008, 03:15 AM
you're welcome have a great night and goodluck with the honey gourami.

~Erik3.8.07~
02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
and i have a powerhead in there too.

i wouldnt run the powerhead if you dont have to, gouramis prefer slow moving water. To them the slower the better. I had a powerhead running before and my gouramis stayed kinda towards the back a lot, now it stays off and there showin much more personality :thumb:

squirt_12
02-01-2008, 03:17 PM
i wouldnt run the powerhead if you dont have to, gouramis prefer slow moving water. To them the slower the better. I had a powerhead running before and my gouramis stayed kinda towards the back a lot, now it stays off and there showin much more personality :thumb:
o...ok thanks Erik.....i did not know that :thumb: learned something new today.

Sasquatch
02-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah, gouramis are slow water fish, like bettas.

Also, I'd be careful with how many gouramis you put in there. They're peaceful community fish, but from what I've read, they can be aggressive to each other. Fighting among males and males chasing everything when they have eggs in their nests.

I'd start with two gouramis and plenty of cover (plants, decor etc...) to create divisions in the tank. Bioload isn't an issue, but territoriality might be.

For the swordtails, they shouldn't be a problem, but keep an eye on the water chemistry to make sure you don't end up overstocked as they grow.

Good luck, gouramis are cool, we're planning on getting one as soon as our 5G is cycled.

squirt_12
02-01-2008, 06:29 PM
thanks Sasquatch....yeah i don't know....i might just grab the 4 because they have an awesome deal right now of buy 1 get 1 free. So i might get 4. Meaning i only have to pay for 2. lol.

I will have lots of plants and decorations in there....so it'll be fine....i hope. If not i can relocate them. Also....when the swordtails grow up i am going to be giving them away. So it should be fine.

EDIT - and they are too small at my LFS right now to beable to tell the gender.