PDA

View Full Version : My turn to vent!

kimmers318
09-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Walked into my local petsuppliesplus store Wednesday night to pick up crickets for the kids' frogs. Of course I always have to look at their tanks. In the past we have had pretty good luck with alot of the fish from there, although I have stayed away from buying anything lately because I am pretty well stocked and a couple of weeks in a row I saw bad ICK cases on the fish when they came in from the supplier. Anyway....as I am looking I am seeing fish I have never seen before, and fish I have never seen in THIS store before. First up comes what the employee tells me is a freshwater flounder, then I spot a bristlenose pleco, WOW I am thinking, they are starting to carry some other species....YES, she tells me, we got alot of new stuff in. All of a sudden I spot little bumblebee gobies, wow, these little guys are adorable....something I hope to have in the future, but wait a minute, aren't they brackish I ask her...yes, all of our tanks are brackish she says! ARGHHH! Either way, I am so flustered with her I have to leave the store....either she is full of sh--, and the tanks aren't brackish or they are subjecting cory's, clown loaches, plecos and such to brackish conditions :evil: . Now I know I miss the 2 girls they used to have there who at least tried to get to know something about fish...and had tanks of their own. I realize that a lot of people/places use small amounts of salt in tanks to help avoid disease, but to describe them as brackish....and to say they have scaleless fish in brackish is so wrong. Sorry for the venting....but it has been sitting in my brain for 2 days driving me nuts! Someday I hope to take a step over to brackish so I have been doing a little research, far from being "knowledgeable" about the subject yet, but this really flipped my buttons so to speak.
Thanks for listening!

DemonShark
09-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Go tell the manager say hell kill his stock doing what he is doing

kimmers318
09-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I have a feeling it is probably more like this girl has no clue what she is saying, and mistook adding some salt as a tonic as them being brackish....but still, hearing that ALL their tanks are brackish and seeing the variety of fish was upsetting. Since I will probably have to stop in next week, I will make sure I go in during the day when the one manager I have dealt with before is usually in and mention it to her.

William
09-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if all of their tanks arre slightly brackish with a low amount of salt. It can as you no prevent disease and many people still think that a little salt always is a good idea fpr all fish.

Full3R
09-17-2006, 04:05 AM
but the freshwater flounder can also if im thinking right is also a freshwater sole which is supposed to be in brackish water anyway isnt it

kimmers318
09-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Correct, full3r, the research I did said the freshwater flounder was also brackish....but they were in with non brackish fish....and several tanks had fish that are freshwater and not brackish. Their tanks are on a single filtering system and they only had to my knowledge, 2 types of brackish fish, the rest freshwater.

Full3R
09-17-2006, 02:46 PM
i now see what u mean and it is indeed wrong, my LFS has there different water types split up into the major groups, coldwater, tropical and saltwater which are run on 3 seperate filteration systems if they happen to get brackish fish in they have a set up ready