PDA

View Full Version : Filter for a 45 gallon

indy412
01-31-2008, 07:53 PM
I currently have a 20 gallon tank which I'm looking to upgrade. My LFS has a good deal on a 45 gallon tank and stand. What size filter would I need? I've only used the AquaClear HOB type. Would a canister filter be better? Are they difficult to use? I'm also trying to determine what substrate I want. I've always had Amazon swords in gravel in my current tank and would like to get more plants in the bigger tank. Is sand better, or just a fine gravel? I have 3 clown loaches and a Siamese algae eater (I know the loaches will eventually outgrow the 45). Thanks for your help!

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Loaches are gonna need like a 150 I'm sure you know. You could put an Aquaclear 110 on the back of that 45. Give it superior filtration. They are like $55.00 or so and worth every single penny. Live plants or fake?? If live plants you may wanna do substrate heater, co2 booster, and ecocomplete gravel to help the plants

goleafs
01-31-2008, 08:43 PM
You could use a canister filter but they are more expensive and a bit difficult to set up compared to the hang on the tank kind of filters. A good canister filter for your 45 gallon will probably cost well over $100. If you want to use a hang on the tank filter I would recommend an emperor 280 or an emperor 400. I use the emperor 280 on my 30 gallon tank and it really does the job.

Tooch
01-31-2008, 08:45 PM
I would go with the Emperor 400. I only say this because I have them on all my tanks, and are very happy with them. I personally use carbon in them, and the 400 came with 2 extra media containers which I put ammonia crystals in.

doug z
01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Eco-complete is a good substrate for plants..

If you like AC's HOB filters, there's nothing wrong with getting an Acuaclear 100..

I wouldn't reccomend using carbon in it, though, as carbon gets rid of a bunch of essential nutrients (carbon doesn't differentiate between good or bad), and can leave your fish open to disease..

Might want to look into CO as well..

Azear
01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
as said previously... Canister are expensive but do Awesome work... I'm using an Eheim canister and worth the money I've spent for it. Tho, on the other side, you might want to lower your cost so go with AquaClear HOB filter...

Another canister that is supposed to be great is fluval... but I wouldn't go with anything else than Fluval or Eheim for canister... but well, that's my opinion.

Fishguy2727
01-31-2008, 09:52 PM
There are many loaches that will work much better than clowns. I like my yoyo and angelicus.

Anyone seen or heard of any clown loaches over 6" in captivity? Links? Pics?

I would just go with an AquaClear 110.

I would definitely go with sand.

indy412
01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably go with the AquaClear 110 since I've had good luck with them in the past, but I'll look into the canisters too.

For the substrate - can Ecocomplete be used by itself, or is it used as a bottom layer?
Does sand need a bottom layer of something else for planting purposes? I've always loved the natural look of sand together with plants and driftwood, but wasn't sure how easy it is to maintain.

Azear
01-31-2008, 10:02 PM
There are many loaches that will work much better than clowns. I like my yoyo and angelicus.

Anyone seen or heard of any clown loaches over 6" in captivity? Links? Pics?

I would just go with an AquaClear 110.

I would definitely go with sand.

Well, have you seen "Marge" ? :P she's 11.5" Clown loach...

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

*Credit to Hobbs for that link on another post*

doug z
01-31-2008, 10:09 PM
For the substrate - can Ecocomplete be used by itself, or is it used as a bottom layer?

Either or..

Just make sure you have about 3-4" of it.

Only thing with sand is it compacts, and can lead to an anearobic and stagnant substrate that is bad for plants.. So maybe go with only a thin layer of it on the top..

Also, keep in mind Eco-compltete is black, so you'd want to go with black sand, or use all sand around the front of the tank, so it doesn't look weird (like a layer cake.. LOL)..

Fishguy2727
01-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Captive raised?
Do they ever say the size of the tank those 50 (!) clown loaches are kept in besides "large"?

Sorry, but that is an ugly fish. Those larger individuals are not what I would want in a tank. I admit that large clown loaches (6" or so) kept in large tanks are nice fish, but those two were ugly.

Are wild caught adults proportioned like that?

Ty
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
im running 2 penguin 350's on my 46 gal tank, and it stays rather clean.

ESaputo
02-01-2008, 04:13 AM
If it helps any. I use a Rena XP1...it was a bit difficult to set up, but as long as you follow the directions you will be fine. Ive been using it for about a month and it is absolutely great.

jbeining75
02-01-2008, 05:42 AM
I run two Aquaclear 110's on my 55 gallon with two Oscars and three pleco in there...no problems