PDA

View Full Version : Raphael in a 55G community

NickFish
01-31-2008, 04:34 PM
I think I might put a raphael in my 55 gallon. Would it compete too much with the cories? It really is just an idea, I'm not too educated on other catfish besides cories and plecos and I've never had a raphael before. Would it eat any of my smaller tetras/cories?

Tooch
01-31-2008, 04:41 PM
I have 2 in my 75gal Piranha tank. I've heard they have a tendency to be territorial, but oftentimes mine are chilling right next to/on top of eachother under the same rock. I think you would probably be alright, but like other catfish, they will probably eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths during the night.

angelcakes
01-31-2008, 05:35 PM
hello,ive had three in one tank (tank is 4ft long and hold 180 litres) with other catfish,plecs,ive not had a problem with them you may have noticed i said ive had three im now down to 1 :(,i found them shy and nocturnal and partial to a few worms and they like to sqeeze into small places,housing is important has they like the dark,

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 05:42 PM
They are coomunity cats. Is is styriped or spotted????

Tooch
01-31-2008, 06:05 PM
I have one of each and they are equally cool! They are also called "Talking Catfish". If you take it out of water, it'll actually make a grunting noise. Be careful if you need to move one, as they can easily get snagged in a net due to their spiney outisde. Also, they can clamp their pectorial fins down pretty tight. If that happens, simply put the whole net in the water and let it let go on it's own, don't try to shake him lose. It's usually better to try to use a cup to move it.

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah my brother got his snagged in the net. Its best to try and bag them and not net them. As as a defensive their entire bodies lock up. My brothers locked up in his net. We had to cut the net out very careful with an exacto knife and the fish still had little pieces of net in the spines. Eventually it all came off. It was a mess. Stressed the fish but atleast he lived.
The talking is thevibration and soundfrom their spines clicking together!!!

cocoa_pleco
01-31-2008, 07:19 PM
they get 8" fullgrown, he should have a 75g+ when hes fullgrown but until then a 55g is fine

Tooch
01-31-2008, 07:20 PM
They are slow growers. You're right, they can get pretty big, but a 55gal for one would last him awhile

NickFish
01-31-2008, 07:29 PM
hmmmmm well i don't like buying fish and putting them in tanks that are too small for them when they grow, cause im never sure if i will get a bigger tank, probably though. it would be a striped if i got it.

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 07:33 PM
Yeah the stripped get like 8 inches the spotted around 6 inches.

Tooch
01-31-2008, 07:36 PM
hmmmmm well i don't like buying fish and putting them in tanks that are too small for them when they grow, cause im never sure if i will get a bigger tank, probably though. it would be a striped if i got it.

It's great to see you have consideration for the fish and your ability to care for them as adults! :thumb:

NickFish
01-31-2008, 07:56 PM
then i'd get spotted if i did

Thanks zcci, I don't get any fish if I can't take care of it long term.

smaug
01-31-2008, 11:06 PM
The striped or spotted variety will find a 55gal tank just fine for there liking,I have 1 of each.They are a very laid back fish and not aggresive at all.They will not bother your corys,I still have all 11 of my original corys for over a year now.My raphs are 6" and 7".Provide for them very good hiding places where they can be totally out of sight.Feed them shrimp pellets,frozen beefheart and the occasional earthworm.Have a moon light so you can observe them at night because they positively hate daylight.To ease your fears your 55 will be plenty big enough for them all the way up to full size simply because they are so retiring.I have mine in a planted 58 gal.They always prefer to hang out around there cave.