PDA

View Full Version : Molly preg./ How long til birth?

Eileen
01-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm still waiting for my Blk. Molly to have the babies. Had her together with a Blk Balloon Molly and fancy male guppy from Dec. 18th. Jan. 29th she Is 6 weeks along , or 43 days. I put her back in the main tank with floating plants last week and seperated the males because the balloon molly kept bothering her near her rear end and trying to mate. She is huge now. Can't see the Gavid spot due to her dark black color. She hangs around the back of the tank near the heater all the time. She is still eating food. My question is can it take 8 weeks to give birth?

jbeining75
01-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Most websites I have seen say 40-70 days for black mollies. Should be about ready soon I guess

Tolley
01-30-2008, 08:38 PM
yup thats right upto 8 weeks with mollies, longer than other common livebearers. But she might have them tomorrow you never know. :thumb:

Eileen
01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the reply back. I guess all I can do is wait. I have her by herself with 3 Red Rasboras and 2 mystery snails. I will let you know if she has them. I'm cycling a 3 gal. tank now for the babies to grow in. I will put the babies in a breeder box til the 3 gal. tank is ready.

jbeining75
01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
yeah id keep them seperated just incase anyone gets snippy.

spartan173
03-11-2008, 12:47 AM
she could probably have them any time. because some mollys wait for certain conditions to have their babies.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2008, 12:50 AM
this threads from january

Warsong
03-11-2008, 01:48 AM

lol i guess people didnt notice :P

Augus
03-12-2008, 07:31 PM

Baby yet, or still waiting?

Eileen
03-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Funny thing. She never had them after over 70 days so I put her back in the main tank. Still no babies. But she looked huge. Maybe she just went through a growth spert. My male balloon molly was the same size as her in Dec. and is still the same size. My female molly is over twice the males size. I was really looking forward to babies. My male molly still trys to mate with her since I got him in Dec. I bought a female blk platy thinking that he would not bother her so much. He prefers the blk. molly over the platy. I did however put alot of floating plastic plants on the top of the tank so just in case she does have them some of the babies can hide. I suppose I should be thankful she did not have them. Everyone else with livebearers have so many and do not know what to do with all the fry.