PDA

View Full Version : snails invasion...!!!

lasm
01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I guess I'm not the only one that has gone through something like this.

A couple of months ago, I got some new plants for my 10g tank. When I got them, I went home and planted them. Some days later... I notice a couple of little snails. I didn't pay attention to it at that moment... BIG MISTAKE....!!!

After watching them I couple of times... I started to like them (there were two)... ANOTHER HUGE MISTAKE....!!!

For the past month, we have taken out more than 100 little messy and disgusting snails. I feel bad just putting them in the trash can, but I don't know what else to do with them. I never had nitrate spikes before, and don't like how they look in my tank either. In addition to that... they go like crazy over my cory's food.

I hope some day I get ride of them...

If any of you has any suggestion how to... it's greatly welcome.

I currently have 4 red eye tetras, 2 white skirt tetras and 4 peppered cory's in there.

NickFish
01-30-2008, 04:17 PM
just so you know the peppereds are gonna outgrow that tank.

The snails are a big problem, and very hard to get rid of! Ask Hobbs I'm sure she'll tell you just how hard.
There are tons of snail poisons out there but I don't recommend those, they can do more harm then good. You can put a piece of romaine lettuce or zucchini in and then when all the snails crawl on it just take it out.
I give all my snails to my dwarf puffers, they go crazy for them, but if you don't have a DP all you can really do is pick em out by hand. Clown loaches eat them but would get way to big for a 10G.

hpt84
01-30-2008, 04:22 PM
The population of snail will die down. There will be a lot of snail and not enough algae. The snail population will stabilize itself. You will be reduce to about 10-20 snails. You wont even see most of them. The trick is to not leave uneaten food in your tank. I don't mine them because I never have to clean my tank because of algae. Just my opinion.

Lady Hobbs
01-30-2008, 04:27 PM
My snail population exploded and all I have in my tank is 3 corys that get algae pellets at night which the snails love!

jbeining75
01-30-2008, 04:29 PM
I never had snails I had thiose little african frogs though

Tooch
01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I got some snails in my tank with my live plants. At the moment, I only see a few. I have a 30gal that I'm gonna start as a Discus tank. Right now there are only 4 neons and a Garra Panda in it while I bring the pH down. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get out of hand, because I'm not a huge fan of loaches...