PDA

View Full Version : Eradicating my snails!

Lady Hobbs
01-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks to Country_Boy and his suggestion to try algae pellets and thanks to Rue for suggesting to get rid of the snails at night, I have been eradicating them like crazy.

Generally right after a water change about 50 of them will be climbing up the walls and I saw 1 today. I know more are there but they are not everywhere now. I still have some wee babies to squish.

I've been using one of those long skinny olive jars, drop a couple pellets in the bottom and lay it on it's side in the tank. About twice each evening after the tank lights go off, I have been going in and dumping the jar of snails. What are on the glass, I mash.

Thanks guys. It definately is working.

sailor
01-30-2008, 12:16 AM
That's a great tip, I've never heard of that one.

Luke
01-30-2008, 02:17 AM
A few years ago I bought a couple of plants and got a snail infestation from them. I was scraping them off the glass and squashing the eggs too. Then after my last two fish died, I decided to try a goldfish for awhile. It ate every snail in the tank and killed them off. Just thought I would throw it out there as another way to get rid of them.

gm72
01-30-2008, 03:08 AM
Nice job, Lady!

zeon
01-30-2008, 04:56 AM
Oh wow that is such a great suggestion. I am glad it is working so well for you. I think I might need it here shortly lol. One of my tanks has those critters univited. :)

digital3
01-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I need to try that too. I have a pretty bad problem in my Cory tank right now!

Ty
01-30-2008, 06:53 AM
feel free to cap that jar and send it my way, lol

I got one with one of my plants, but my goldfish got it before it even hit the bottom....

country_boy454
01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Glad to hear that helped Hobbs! I will be trying that very soon in my ten gallon! I don't mind the ramshorn snails but the mystery snails are too much. Gotta go and they gotta go soon!

Adrian
02-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Coppersafe in a tank will remove all your snails. All of em, babies, eggs, etc. Don't use this if you have a planted tank, or scaleless fish. Coppersafe is very effective in treating snail infestations, but has some drawbacks. Unfortunately, it is very stable in water, and very hard to get rid of without a rinse of the tank.

Good luck on your snail populations.

ncbuckeye
04-01-2008, 02:38 AM
Also I've been reading about snails and seen several comments that a large killing of snails will die and rot, and really effect water quality. I don't know, but I got a few to try, and see what my crayfish thinks of them. If they don't work, I'm going to try the goldfish or loaches.

richberstler
04-01-2008, 02:48 AM
Poor buggers have such a bad rep... I'd take them if i wasn't already at capacity.:thumb:

ncbuckeye
04-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Poor buggers have such a bad rep... I'd take them if i wasn't already at capacity.:thumb:

I kinda like em, I just don't want they to get out of hand.