PDA

View Full Version : substrate heating

Incredulous_Ed
01-29-2008, 09:01 PM
I've heard that using substrate heating cables in hard water is bad because the heat binds with the nutrients making them inaccesible to plants. Can anyone confirm this?

Dave66
01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
I've heard that using substrate heating cables in hard water is bad because the heat binds with the nutrients making them inaccesible to plants. Can anyone confirm this?

Using one in hard water would be pointless, as very, very few plant species do well in hard water. What they are saying is the heat draws the hard water down to it, and the Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium and other minerals that make water hard, gather around the cable because of the positive-negative charges between the minerals and the electric cable. That's what they are saying about binding. Its a simplification, but essentially correct.
I'm still puzzled why anyone would try to have a planted aquarium in hard, alkaline water in the first place.

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
01-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks. I have a planted tank in alkaline water....It does quite well.....

Dave66
01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks. I have a planted tank in alkaline water....It does quite well.....

Ed,
One, HOW alkaline, and two, what kind of plants?

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
01-29-2008, 09:54 PM
The pH is at about 7.6, not sure about hardness because I dont have a test kit for that. I have rotala rotundifolia that has pink growth, cryptocoryne undulata, brazilian microsword, and some vals. The only problem I have is cyano bacteria.

zeon
01-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Forgive me if I am wrong here, but in hard water...Like I have, The cables would soon be covered and white. It is just like with my electric water heater. We have to replace the elements at least once a year in my water heater because of the hard water. When my hubby pulls out the old element it is completely covered and white cause of the hard water deposits and minerals in our well water. That is why I make the trips every week to town and lug back all that R/O water. Has made a big difference.