PDA

View Full Version : Piranha Feeding - Off Feeders

Tooch
01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
So Cara and I made the decision that we like our fish too much to worry about feeding them FG's anymore. Our large tank (Oscar, ID Shark, Clown Knife, Pleco, Convict and GT) all get Hikari Cichlid Gold (large) floating pellets and Hakari Alge Wafers. We're also going to start picking up cheap fillets of fish and cutting them up and giving them it a couple times a week.

Our 10 and 40gal (tiger barbs, Black Ghost, Cory, 2 Dragon Bichirs, Gold Nugget Pleco) all get NLS sinking pellets, bloodworms, shrimp pellets, and the occasional alge wafer.

Now, our Piranha.

There are 4 of them and 2 Raphael cats in a 75gal tank. It has large river rock substrate, which makes sinking food pretty much out. We used to feed them sinking Carnavore pellets (the mini massivore) and they would pick them up off the gravel when they were in the smaller tank. Now, the pellets would just fall through the rocks. What types of floating foods are out there that would be healthy for our Piranha. What can we feed the Raphaels to ensure they get enough to eat as well. I was thinking that we can throw Ghost Shrimp in every once in awhile for the cats.

Suggestions please?

YaYgoldFish
01-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Nls no doubt. Im pretty sure they have a carnivorous pellet or something like that..Theirs a kind of NLS for pretty much all fish.

NickFish
01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
The fillets are a good idea, jush get whatever is cheapest.
NLS has some great floating carnivore pellets, I'm sure you can find one that your piranhas will enjoy.
list of NLS foods (http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=60) is shown here.

Gawd_oOo
02-09-2008, 05:31 AM
I recently picked up some of the 4.5mm NLS floating Jumbo Fish Formula. It took a few days before my Piranhas realized it as food, but now they love it.

I still use it as part of a varied diet.

jbeining75
02-09-2008, 05:42 AM
NLS makes xtra large fish pellets they'd eat those....... watch feeding them regular meats though especially the Oscar...... You should still use a good quality pellet as their stable to their diet........

snapdragon9
02-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Its very good to have a suplement other than live fish, due to the fact that bulk/farm raised fish may carry parasites. I feed my ronha hikari krill, for a monthly treat I would toss in a pinky mouse, (although this prompts me to up the water changes!)