PDA

View Full Version : Argulus maybe ?

flathampster
09-13-2006, 12:01 PM
My tank has been infested for quite a while with some type of fish lice. I think it might be Argulus, judging by the various descriptions I have been able to find. However none of the treatments I have tried seem to be very succesful. I have tried aqua master Para-cide (trichlorofon) and a white spot remedy containing formaldehyde and malachite green. I know the lice dont like it because they run up the side of the tank, but they dont really die, and are always back again in about a week. I have supplied some decent pictures on the diseases gallery in this forum. Im happy to email them also.

This is my first post so I hope I dont break any protocols. Any help appreciated.

William
09-14-2006, 04:22 AM
How long have you medicated.

flathampster
09-14-2006, 05:40 AM
I started about 3 weeks ago, with two treatments of Trichlorofon, a week apart. The tank looked clean until a week later. I upped the dosage by one tablet and tried again, but they were back less than 5 days later, so Ive tried two doses of the aqua-master white spot remedy, 2 days apart. The second dose was yesterday, and I havent seen any lice since then. I have phantom glass catfish, so Im not keen on using lots of the white spot remedy.

William
09-14-2006, 08:05 AM
I can understand that. Can you move the cats to another tank while treating.

flathampster
09-16-2006, 08:30 AM
I dont have another aquarium setup but I did move the cats into an aerated bucket and treat again, however the bugs are still crawling up the sife of the tank. I cant see any infected fish though.

Any ideas on an effective treatment ?

Sorry for late reply, my computer died.

Lady Hobbs
09-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Sounds as a very, very good gravel cleaning is in order. Do it daily for several days until you don't see anymore. Then clean gravel on a regular basis at least every other week.