PDA

View Full Version : fruits and veggies

country_boy454
01-29-2008, 07:23 PM
I thought since people always ask what types of veggies/fruit they can feed their fish why not start a thread where people can list what they feed their fish. It will give people a variety of food options.

I'll start by saying cucumber and zucchini.

jbeining75
01-29-2008, 07:25 PM
2 Oscars, 1 Albino Tiger, 1 Tiger

I feed them peas, cubed cucumber, zuccini, and lettuce.

Before I had to get rid of my Pacu I used to feed him the same.

cocoa_pleco
01-29-2008, 07:26 PM
in nature pacu will eat fallen fruits so i give my pacu some grapes, apple, peach, orange, etc

jbeining75
01-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah my friends use to eat brazil nuts just drop them in.

angelcakes
01-29-2008, 07:50 PM
peas,cucumber ,lettece and raw potatoes for my upside down catfish,you can also feed i think its steamed spinach (could have got the wrong veg!!)or cabbage :1: :20:

YaYgoldFish
01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Ive been wondering about this for while but wont the juices from fruits mess wih water quality? Im always skeptic when feeding pineapple and apple pieces(goldfish)..

angelcakes
01-29-2008, 10:50 PM
i not feed my fish fruits,didn't know you could except lemon for goldfish,but i see your point about fruit juice!!:1: :20:

zeon
01-31-2008, 03:44 AM
I would love more suggestions as well. I feed my big baby of a pleco zuchinni and my snails love cucumbers. Tried the peas and green beans but no one would even touch them. I like to give these things as treats.

Ty
01-31-2008, 03:50 AM
my goldfish and kissing gourmais love orange peices, I just cut a big slice out of the middle, about 3/4 of a inch thick, and wire it to a rock so that it stands up in the tank, and they can eat from both sides.

and when it comes to water quality, I would not recommend leaving it in the tank for to long, because I left a slice in overnight, and in the morning the water was cloudy, and I had a mild algae bloom for the next week (at least that is what I think it was) I would recommend just tanking the orange out of the tank once the fish loose interest in it.

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 03:54 AM
I dont do fruits but I do do vegitables. As long as the veggies are out within 20 minutes I have never had a problem. Longer than that they may start to decompose in your tank causing a nasty bacterial bloom.

YaYgoldFish
02-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Can the fruit's juices harm the water quality?

cocoa_pleco
02-01-2008, 01:01 AM
i doubt it, i fed my fish some grapes and no juice went anywhere

Hailey
02-01-2008, 02:53 AM
what about different lettuces? like romain, iceburg, and well others?
I try to feed my convicts cucumber but i dont think they like it.

YaYgoldFish
02-01-2008, 03:15 AM
I tried orange slices on my small convict, but I guess hes still too small, he pecked at it for about 5 minutes and decided to call it quits lol. My turtles on the other hand loved em.

Hailey
02-01-2008, 05:51 AM
ohh, i was also going to ask about bell peppers? I almost always have some. Would they be ok to feed?

NickFish
02-01-2008, 08:33 AM
I dunno abou tthe bell peppers but..

what about different lettuces? like romain, iceburg, and well others?
I try to feed my convicts cucumber but i dont think they like it.

Fish prefer romaine lettuce, you can feed iceburg but there really is no point, is has very little nutritional value. Romaine is best.

Dave66
02-01-2008, 10:01 AM
ohh, i was also going to ask about bell peppers? I almost always have some. Would they be ok to feed?

For fish like Silver Dollars and Tinfoil Barbs, a slice of bell pepper clipped to the glass wall would be perfectly acceptable to them. Other fish, like suckermouthed catfish like Otocinclus or one of the smaller plecos would happily gnaw on the pepper, though you could sink the slices with them. Just make sure there are no seeds for either.

Dave

aquarius56
02-02-2008, 12:28 AM
The only thing that I've fed my group so far, is frozen(cooked) peas and my Clown Loaches loved it. I was wondering, you mention cucmber and zuchini...do you peel them and take all the seeds out and maybe cook them a little or do just chuck them in raw au natural???

country_boy454
02-02-2008, 01:45 AM
I usually boil the cucumber a little then cut it in slices the long way and stick it in like that. Take it out a few hours later. Sometimes I let it stay in over night.