PDA

View Full Version : green muddy water

Luke
01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank with a few guppies and a pleco. Had it for years with the occasional algae problem, usually when changing the lightbulbs. But about a month ago when I vacuumed out the gravel and added back about 3 gal on water, the water turned green and muddy looking by the next morning. Daily water changes did nothing to help. It was so bad that the back side of the tank couldn't be seen. I tried nitrate removers and that brown stuff that will clear muddy water. Didn't help. I had never seen algae like this since it wasn't growing on anything in the tank, just making green water. I really didn't know it was algae, but it was green.

Finally bought some of the tank buddies algae killer and started dropping the tablets in. It cleared up after about a week and now is fine.

Anyone have an idea about how to prevent this green water in the future? I don't like using the chemicals, but couldn't find any other way to clear it up.

Bobo the Clown Loach
01-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Are you using an undergravel filter? You may have stirred up all the algae that was dormant in your substrate along with all the yummy nutrients for the algae causing the bloom. Just a thought.

kkevvy
01-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Diatoms. Pretty common. Can't really be eaten, but try this site for help. http://www.otocinclus.com/articles/greenwater.html

Also 10 gallons is way too small for a pleco. They need about 55+ gallons at a minimum.

Luke
01-29-2008, 11:31 PM
No undergravel filter. I forget the name of it, but it hangs on the back and draws the water out then lets it flow back in.

The pleco is only about 6 inches long. Never had one grow bigger than that. I'll check the website, thanks.

Okay, I just looked at that website. That's exactly what my aquarium looked like. Pea green and muddy.

kkevvy
01-30-2008, 01:39 AM
The pleco is only about 6 inches long. Never had one grow bigger than that.

Small tanks stunt the growth. Regardless, 6 inches is BIG for 10 gallons.