PDA

View Full Version : angel fish tank

AquaBANG
01-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Whats the ideal tank setup for a angel fish tank?
I currently have a 30G with sand substrate, an internal power filter with 300G/hr capacity, besides a 100W heater. No lightling as yet. Tank's cycling with a few guppies. So if I need to get an Angel fish setup into this one, what do I need to know.

Rocky06fx4
01-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Heavy plant tank with little water movement. They like peaceful tanks with little or no noise and ALOT of plants.

AquaBANG
01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I guess my internal filter with 300G/hr in a 30G tank is too much for them. I would guess that the current would be too strong for them!

Fishalicious
01-29-2008, 12:12 PM
At least 10 Gallon per Angel and prefferably a higher tank of at least 20 inches - best is 24 inches to allow the finnage to grow properly... otherise the growth is stumped and the lower fins may drag on the substrate.

They like Sword plants for their eggs and no 'busy' fish such as guppies etc. they prefer more laid back fish as tankmates. They will eat smaller tetra's like Neons.

They don't mind a mild current... as long as it is not too stong.

AquaBANG
01-29-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah mine is 18'' high. I think I should leave out the Angels as possible candidates for my tank.

Adrian
02-17-2008, 07:47 PM
I have my angels in a 37 gallon tank. It is 24 inches tall, by 30 long. Heavily planted, with a whisper 60 over the back filter. I turned it down, but am looking to go with a canister filter. Temp around 80 degrees, wilth lots of open places for them to swim.

smaug
02-17-2008, 08:25 PM
yeah mine is 18'' high. I think I should leave out the Angels as possible candidates for my tank.
Thats a good decision.You could keep 1 full grown angel correctly but that would be it.They really are very territorial and a 50gal is really the smallest tank they should ideally be placed in.

Fishalicious
02-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Totally agree Smaug... I have 4 in a 160 gallon and with one couple spawning at the moment it really had turned into world war III with lot's of biting and agression... I dread to think what the circumstances would be like in a smaller tank.

smaug
02-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Totally agree Smaug... I have 4 in a 160 gallon and with one couple spawning at the moment it really had turned into world war III with lot's of biting and agression... I dread to think what the circumstances would be like in a smaller tank.
I dont know why they are called ANGELFISH,demonleaf would be more appropriate.

jbeining75
02-17-2008, 09:46 PM
My brother runs a Aquaclear 70 that flush 300 gph on his 30 long and has angels in there no problem..... Place some high plants near the return to break the current... That is all he does....

mitcore
02-19-2008, 10:55 PM
get a fry filter that runs off an air pump and take out the sand the angel fry will die in it, they need plants and a pipe or something on angle to spawn on they will be happy with any thing on that an angle, mine spawn on the filter inlet pipe and a peice of pipe i have leaning across the tank

cover the tank when they spawn so you have a higher chance of them not eating the eggs, they will eat the white ones as they are not fertilized, the brown coloured ones are fretlized, they cover should stay on the tank until the fry are free swimming and about a week old, the reason for doing this is that they see you and any person a threat to their eggs and that is why they eat them, covering the tank means there is no threat and all should be well, i do this and have had lots of fry survive

good luck