PDA

View Full Version : Allowing room for snail eggs

Bobo the Clown Loach
01-29-2008, 07:19 AM
How much room should be left dry between the water line and the lip of the tank to allow for mystery snail egg clutches? I have about an inch and a half of open space. I want to make sure that if my snails need to lay eggs they can.
Or does anyone have any suggestions on any other ways or methods to allow the snails room for laying eggs? I was thinking of a floating type of platform but I just don't think it'll work.

Azear
01-29-2008, 10:24 PM
mystery snail..... Real mystery snail or Apple Snail ? that's a major difference. Tho alot of people don't agree on the name of theses "mystery snail" so I don't want to start a war. So, I'll just call that a Snail...

So, well, 1.5" is not alot but if you have a top on your tank (not slider glass, but closed top), the snail will probably climb up there and lay them there. If you don't have a closed top, well, I'd lower a bit the water level since I'm pretty sure you don't want your snail to get out and fall outside of the tank (happen to me once). If you have more info on your tank and on that snail you suspect to have eggs (pictures welcome), I might be able to help more ;)

Good luck

Bobo the Clown Loach
01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
They are real mystery snails.....as far as I know. But anyway, I don't know if any of them are ready to lay eggs but with all the snail humpin' going on in there I suspect there will be some egg laying soon. I just want to make sure I provide space.

Adrian
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Mystery snails need about an inch to 2 inches to lay their eggs. It will be a pinkish mass that will hatch in a few days. I have 2 gold mystery snails, because they don't eat plants, just algae and perhaps some left over food. Some mystery snails, will eat plants, so be careful on which ones you get.

Tolley
02-18-2008, 08:36 PM
you can also find egg clumps hanging upside down on your lid :D

spudbuds
02-19-2008, 02:32 AM
you can also find egg clumps hanging upside down on your lid :D
Yep, mine lay their eggs right on the lid most of the time. I have also found them on the tube of the HOB filter and some on the glass area of the lights (I have no idea how they got there). I don't try to leave them any room. They just find a place.

AquaBANG
02-19-2008, 04:33 AM
I've had apple snails and they laid the egg clutch on the hood. The eggs were everywhere in the hood. But sadly I have not had any babies.

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 07:08 AM
2 inches is good for mystery snails, the clutches take about 3 weeks to hatch, but will take less or longer depending on the temp. The warmer your water the more eggs and the faster they will hatch!