PDA

View Full Version : First Oscar Tank - HELP!!

Rach24
01-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Wanting to set up a Oscar tank, its 100g. I will be buying babies to put in here, how many do i buy? Also what sort of decor do i put in. Sand? gravel? Rocks? Do they need like caves to hide in or anything? Real plants or plastic plants? any help is much appreciated.:c12:

cocoa_pleco
01-29-2008, 06:39 AM
fullgrown you can have 3 oscars in a 100g. sand would be nice. you should get a few rock caves and some plastic plants for them to feel safe, if they feel secure they wont hide as much from the start.

Rach24
01-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the advice. Also can you put the different types of oscars together? Tiger and Albino can go in together.

Dave66
01-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Wanting to set up a Oscar tank, its 100g. I will be buying babies to put in here, how many do i buy? Also what sort of decor do i put in. Sand? gravel? Rocks? Do they need like caves to hide in or anything? Real plants or plastic plants? any help is much appreciated.:c12:

Rach,
Get six youngsters. Decor should be gravel, rounded stones and driftwood. Doesn't matter if you use live or plastic plants, Oscars will tear them out, so the plants are a waste of money and time.
The Oscars will top out at 14 inches. There won't be a lot of space in the tank with six adults. School of a dozen silver dollars would be OK, and maybe a Raphael Cat (Platydoras costatus) to prowl the bottom realm. You could get four or five of them, but they'll fight if there aren't enough good enough or large enough hiding places in the tank.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
01-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. Also can you put the different types of oscars together? Tiger and Albino can go in together.

yep, definitely, different variety can also breed with eachother

Rach24
01-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks. will see how i go.

jbeining75
01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
The tank should be heavily filtered. I would recommend either a fluval 450. 100 gallon canister or two aquaclear 110's. I would use the Aquaclear 110's. Use a 200 watt visitherm stealth heater. Gravel for the substrate. For decor do not use real plants. The Oscars will destroy them. I don't recommend plastic plants either as the Oscars are just gonna redecorate. Use heavy objects life driftwood with slate, slate to tip against glass, and clay pots. For the clay pots scrub them really well. Take them to your bathtub fill it up and submerge the pot. Leave it there until bubbles stop coming out. The tank should be 50-70% hiding places for the Oscars. Try to feed them hikari bio-gold or cichlid staple and use freeze dried shrimp, krill, or tubiex worms pellets. Try not to feed them goldfish or rosy red feeders. They have almost no nutritional value and have alot of fat content. 70% of the Oscars diet should be a good quality pellet. Mine will eat peas and lettuce also. As for how many aggressive amazonian cichlid need around 3 gallons of water per inch of fish. Oscars range around 14 inches full grown. I would go no more than 3.

Fishguy2727
01-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Fluval FX5

2 150 or 200 watt Stealth heaters

Sand is ideal.

Decor: Keep it simple, this will trap less debris. I would go for PVC pipe connectors.

Just the oscars if fine, especially if you have three in there. Don't use any dither fish, this is not fair to them.