PDA

View Full Version : Question

Bassfan
01-28-2008, 01:32 AM
I have a question. My green severum who is smaller than my oscar keeps chasing my oscar around. The oscar use to chase him around. The oscar has been in the tank longer as well. Is there a way to prevent this?? Its not all the time but the severum is kind of aggressive. If i added more plastic plants in the tank would that make things better?? And my other question is, i am feeding my oscar hikari gold pellets, jumbo freeze dried shrimp, and some peas. Is that enough variety??

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 01:39 AM
I feed my Oscars Hikari bio-gold, shrimp pellets and kreel. the cichlid pellets should be the staple though. Pellets should be 70-80%. Try not to give them any feeders this will make both more aggressive and have high fats with almost no nutritional value. Also they are a great way to introduce disease into your tank. My oscars like small cubed zuccini and lettuce also.

As for the aggression Big cichlids need 50-70% off their tank equipped with hiding places. The only reason my tank is so open right now is because they are moving to a 120 soon and I wanted to give them a little extra room to scoot around. Use driftwood or pots to break sight. They will just rip up plants. I use driftwood, clay pots (scrub before you enter themn into the tank to clear of debris) and slate sheets leaning against the glass. Also I have had these Oscars in this tank together almost 5 months. They swim together and never leave eachothers side. I have never in 10 years had a pair of Oscars that have been this untempered and friendly.

Bassfan
01-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Ok cool, so my diet for them sounds good right?? When would you feed the freeze dried shrimp?? And i do have 2 ceramic pots. I think ill put them back in. What you think?? (and do you have a picture of your albino oscar?) whats your feeding schedule???

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 01:44 AM
I guess also I should probably ask how big the tank is??

Bassfan
01-28-2008, 01:46 AM
55g. My filtration is 2 penguin 350 bio wheel filters.

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 01:55 AM
I'd put the pots in. The pots should be big enough for the fish to get into do a u-turn and swim back out. Scrub down all sharp edges. The pots provide hiding places and will break the line of sight. You have to watch the Oscar though with changing the tank around alot. If he/she feels stressed due to redecorating he/she may pout a few days (the fish will lay on its side and curl) almost like its dead but its not its just pouting. This will put the serevum in a dominationg position. Also whats the tank temp. Keep the tank around 78 but never over 80. Over 80 any they are mature they may start a spawning ritual even though they aren't compatable. They will lock lips sometimes for hours at times. When this happens if a fish backs out the other usually attacks it. Try to keep it around 78. Keep the tank arerated and great filtration. My feeding schedule is twice a day Mon, Tues Thur Fri Hikari bio-gold pellets Wen freeze dried shrimp/veggies, Sat/Sun Kreel/Veggies. Your Oscars may reject the veggies. Most veggies will float. If the Oscar hasnt eaten any live food within 20 minutes taken it out to restrict baterial bloom from veggie decompisition/rotting

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 02:00 AM
If I remember correct the 350's are 75 gallon filters right. I cant remember off the top of my head. If they are 75's they push around 350 gallons an hour so 700 thats adaquate for an Oscar tank.

Bassfan
01-28-2008, 02:00 AM
the pots arent real big but the severum can go in no problem. so you feed your oscar mon tues skip wedneday? t hursday friday just pellets??? im kind of lost on the schedule.

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Monday : Hikari Bio-gold pellets
Tuesday: Hikari Bio-gold pellets
Wednesday: Freeze dried shrimp/Veggies
Thursday: Hikari Bio-Gold pellets
Friday: Hikari bio-gold pellets
Saturday: Kreel/Veggies
Sunday: Kreel/Veggies

I feed twice a day but I feed very small amounts. Don't feed the Oscars until they won't eat anymore. They will become overfeed and take in too much proteins. Overfeeding shortens their life spans dramatically. Poor nutrition can also cause hole in the head. Oscars are extremely suseptable to this disease.

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 02:09 AM
I feed them bloodworms and crickets every once in a while but not to often.

Bassfan
01-28-2008, 02:13 AM
ok, cool how many pellets do you feed?

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 02:20 AM
My Oscars are around 4-5 inches. I feed them around 4-5 pellets twice a day. The pellets are a little smaller than peas.

Bassfan
01-28-2008, 02:23 AM
i got the hikari cichlid gold medium sized pellets. So ill feed 4-5 as well. thanks for the information. Im going to be doing the same schedule as you. I almost forgot to ask, how much peas do you feed?? and since i have the jumbokrill freeze dried shrimp should i just break it into smaller pieces and give just 1??

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 02:29 AM
yeah you have to break down the kreel. The sheeling is hard. It will get spit out and sink to the bottom. Peas I feed around 5 or so. I'll mix kreel and veggies on both feedings. Just crack the kreel in half. If not when the Oscar retracts his mouth the kreel will get stuck and he'll struggle to break it down. If this happens he'll break a piece and spit the rest out. You'll know if its to large the Oscar will not shut his mouth until food is spit back out.

Bassfan
01-28-2008, 02:33 AM
ok so kreel is the same thing as jumbo shrimp right?? freeze dried correct? So i break it in half and feed him how many?? So i feed 5 peeled peas and how much of the jumbo shrimp? I have overfed him a few times but if i follow the schedule you have you think he will be ok?

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Yeah he'll be fine. For Oscars that small usually two of the krill will work or jumbo shrimp.