PDA

View Full Version : How to ship live fish?

NickFish
01-28-2008, 12:40 AM
How would I go about shipping live fish in the mail across the country? What supplies, technique, tips, things I should know, is there a max distance they can go? How exactly do they survive in the mail? What carriers service should I use?

And most importantly how expensive is this?
I've never ordered fish online before so I really don't get how they can survive in that little bag for so long....is it magic? I'll bet they stuff little fairyies in there, where would I get those? hmmmmm.....

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Thats how most pet stores get there fish. Fedex delivers fish to my local pet store. I've seen how they are packaged. Double bag them. Vent as much air into the bags as possible. Almost full of water to prevent them bouncing and sticking to bag. newspaper around the entire bag to prevent. then into a box with those little strofoam things. or you can use bubble wrap. anything to prevent shock. The local fish store here uses styrofoam.

doug z
01-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm curious about this myself..

But as long as they have a live fish guarantee..

My lfs says they can get me the fish I want, and they get it right to Mackenzie, somehow..

If they can't though, I'll go through another store and get them to get it to Prince George at least, 2 hours away, and I'll pick it up..

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 12:53 AM
make sure you ship it overnight. If longer the fish will severely stress and possibly die due to oxy deprovastion. Take it to the pet store and see if they'll blow the bag full of air for you.

jbeining75
01-28-2008, 12:55 AM
when I watch the lfs unpack the fish almost always appeared stressed with coloration loss. It comes back after a day or so though. Most important thing I guess is pack as much O2 in that baby as possible.

fraggle
01-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Hi Nick!
Dont' know about in Canada, but here in Oz I've ordered fish on line before, they have a 100% guarantee on them arriving alive, if they are dead you get your money back or a credit, your choice.
They get sent by air express courier, and you have a day and time that they will be delivered, if you are not home, the courier is told to leave the in a safe place, but then they can't guarantee the fish if that happens,so it's best to be home to get them, but they say they package them so that will definatley live for 48hours, but won't gurantee any longer than that, they are in insulated foam boxes with plenty of oxygen and when it is cold they put special heat packs in too to keep the temp right.

Not that it wil be uselful, but their address is www.livefish.com.au

Never had any problem with them, and they are a fair bit cheaper than the LFS's! The cheapest I can get black widow tetras at an LFS is $4, they are $2.20 on LiveFish!

They ahve a really reasonable shipping rate of $13.95, flat rate, no matter how many fish you buy! So really good! Not that it will help you in Canada!

Sorry!thumbs2:

NickFish
01-28-2008, 01:06 AM
makes sense now....I guess the fish delievery fairy is just a myth lol.
Thanks for the help guys!

fraggle
01-28-2008, 01:15 AM
:22: No Problem Nick!

Lady Hobbs
01-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Fish are shipped over-night Fed Ex in bags put in insulated boxes with heat packs.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2008, 03:38 AM
yep, thats correct. i usually get corals shipped from a guy a 3 hour drive from me, and he gets big Styrofoam boxes, fills it with foam peanuts, and puts in the bags of corals/fish and puts in 2 bags full of hot water

Tigerbarb
01-28-2008, 04:24 AM
I would suggest not mailing any fish during winter time, because if any mail mistakes happen fish my get affected by temperature.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2008, 05:28 AM
I would suggest not mailing any fish during winter time, because if any mail mistakes happen fish my get affected by temperature.

good point, on one of my coral shipments greyhound told me that for some reason they wouldnt unload the cargo until the next day, and i almost freaked since i had the corals and it was cold outside. dunno why they told me that since 5 minutes later the cargo got unloaded

RichBowyer
01-28-2008, 06:13 AM
I've read recently that they also do not feed the fish for two days before shipment to prevent waste toxins from building up during shipment.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2008, 06:33 AM
I've read recently that they also do not feed the fish for two days before shipment to prevent waste toxins from building up during shipment.

yep, thats true, any excess waste would create ammonia quickly and kill the fish

snipers_den
01-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Heres a fish site that a friend of mine suggested to me when i mailed some fish cross country and it worked pretty good...

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/198/

go to Articles than scroll down to How to:

Its a good step by step on how to ship fish :c5: cross country