PDA

View Full Version : i am a beginner with cichlids

cichlidsrule
09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
can someone tell me what the best cichlid for a beginner please and what is compatible with them :D

jman
11-06-2006, 10:16 PM
there is really no top choice out of the few you have provided simply, i belive that you should start with common cichlids that can be found at your local fish store that are close to the most appealing type of fish. This way when you have gained enough knowledge to proceed forward to the more patient fish maybe like peacocks- you'll handle them without unintintianal abuse.

Let me know when you have picked a steady fish you like then if you need help i can find compatibale fish!

Hevydevy
11-29-2006, 10:00 AM
I started a few weeks back with two electric yellow cichlids - very attractive fish - as well as a ruby shark.

I've just added my next four - an electric blue cichlid, dolphin cichlid and red jewell cichlid as well as a catfish.

If you want to go the same way it worked well for me but here re some characteristics I've observed.

The yellows were very shy when i approached the tank at first. In fact it's only now that I've added the other that they're coming out of their shell.

The electric blue is the opposite. Often when I walk to the tank he comes up to the glass and looks at me. Today he even swm to the top when I opened the lid!

Anyway, none of them are overly aggressive so it's up to you.

Abbeys_Mom
11-29-2006, 01:55 PM
I would have voted, but you missed a some types there.

Fishguy2727
11-29-2006, 03:43 PM
See what is actually available to you. The only dwarfs that may be easily available may be rams. If you have the space for a mbuna tank (from Lake Malawi) and are willing to do the appropriate research on them, those are a very interesting fish. Also good for beginners, but only if you have the space (money, space for a big tank, etc.), would be something like oscars. Lake Tanganyikan cichlids are not good for beginners, if you can even find them.