PDA

View Full Version : cory breeding

llamarama16
01-27-2008, 09:56 PM
i would like to know how to breed my corydoras aeneus

im sorry
im sure that there is already a forum about this

but could someone send me a link on how to set up the breeding tank?

blu
01-27-2008, 11:20 PM
this site has a decent section on breeding:http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/catfish1/p/bronzecory.htm

Some people like to use spawning mops and java moss so the fish have a choice in where they want to lay eggs. I dont think setup is as important b/c they will breed in a regularly setup community tank if well kept.

mitcore
01-28-2008, 09:46 AM
you can drop the tank temp for a short time to spark spawing
the you rise it again, and in a few days the will spawn
the tank temp doesnt need to be dropped for long either and it only needs to go down to 30 degrees and for about a few hrs then increase temp to the temp your tanks are normally set to, then they will spawn

NickFish
01-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Fairly easy to do. I got all 5 of my peppered cory females laying eggs almost non-stop. If it isn't one its the other.

Just put a bunch together, condition them with tubifex cubes, shrimp pellets and hikari sinking wafers, when doing your water change add colder water so it lowers the temp a few degrees, then turn off your heater for a hour, should give you about a 90% chance of spawning. Once they pair up they'll breed again and again without waiting for colder water. Mine breed whenever I do a water change. It gotten to a point where I'll have to find quite a few stores to sell them to. I leave most in the tank and the larger fish love them, but try as hard as you can to move them into a breeding net or preferably a separate fry tank.

NickFish
01-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Oh and the ideal number of cories for breeding would be a school of 8.
5 males and 3 females, depending on the size of your tank.
Unlike livebearers where it is 1 male to 2 or 3 females, with cories its 1 female to every 2 or 3 males.
The males are slightly slimmer and smaller than the females.

country_boy454
01-28-2008, 08:32 PM
To get mine to spawn I turn the heaters off, do a 50% wc, and add ice to the tank. I read that somewhere don't remember offhand though. The ice simulates the raindrops. I get about a 85-90% spawn rate when I do this. I turn the heaters back on after a couple hours.

NickFish
01-28-2008, 09:10 PM
trickle all the cold water in to make it seem like its raining. Turn the heaters off for an hour or 2 but don't forget to turn them back on (especially if they are in a community tank). If they are being fed right and like their tank they should spawn overnight. If not keep trying!
At least one of my cories spawns every other water change, even if the temp only goes down .5 degrees. When you spawn them once they pair up and its much easier to get them to breed.....even if you don't want them to.

llamarama16
01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
how do i tell which ones are male and which are female?

and also, is a 10-gallon tank big enough to breed them in?

gm72
01-28-2008, 10:41 PM
The females are notably more robust than are the males. In my tank a low pressure system moving through seems to induce a spawn. The drop in temperature is also a good trigger. 10 gallon would be okay to spawn in, but make sure you have a plan for them once they get larger. Strongly recommended to use a sponge filter, DIY is fine, and treat the water with Methylene Blue to avoid fungal infection on the eggs.

NickFish
01-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Yep I've had cories spawn in 10 gallons.
Just make sure you have another place to keep the fry.
Females are big and fat and males are small and slim. Not always a sure way to tell them apart but with practice you'll soon be able to see very quick which are males and females.

gm72
01-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Also easy to spot males vs. females when they start to spawn. The males will chase the females first but then they reverse and the females chase the males. Truly if you have 10 corys all the same approximate age the larger ones are likely the females.

llamarama16
01-29-2008, 03:48 AM
what substrate should i use?

also should i use live plants or plastic?

and do i need hiding spots for tired females?

mitcore
01-29-2008, 04:23 AM
just drift wood should be fine, plants are always a great addition to the tank any way
the cory females need hiding spots to lay the eggs behind, and did anyone tell you that most the time the corys breed in 3's 2 females to a male, and that the females are bigger in size then the males

llamarama16
01-29-2008, 09:42 PM
how old do the corys have to be to breed? (or how big?)

country_boy454
01-30-2008, 08:56 PM
just drift wood should be fine, plants are always a great addition to the tank any way
the cory females need hiding spots to lay the eggs behind, and did anyone tell you that most the time the corys breed in 3's 2 females to a male, and that the females are bigger in size then the males

Actually its 2 males to a female! My cories started breeding at about 3/4" big.

llamarama16
01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
i just went to petsmart and bought 7 corys

they are in my main tank

how should i set up my 10 gallon breeding tank to breed them in?

NickFish
01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
they like sand, and live plants, other than that it should be pretty easy. Provide good cover and some hiding spots but also an open space, and some broad leaved plants, they like to lay their eggs on them.
Having more males in the tank will encourage them to breed, the others will be cheering him along the whole time sort of thing.

llamarama16
02-03-2008, 12:31 AM
should i feed them anything special or do anything else before triggering breeding with cold water?