PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Wattage

tomchartjr
01-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Do all the estimates for how much wattage is needed per gallon apply to compact flourecents? I guess alot of people use flourecent but if you use incandecent you would have less light and a higher wattage. I have two 5watt CFLs so by the wattage standard not much however the tank is fairly well lit.

Drumachine09
01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Frankly, wattage isn't really a good measurement of how much light gets into the tank.

smaug
01-27-2008, 10:08 PM
wattage is a perfectly good measurment if you are dealing with lights made for an aquarium,IE compact fluor or metal halides.For plants you want a kelvin rating of 6700 or 10000k.Incans are worthless for plants.With the lights you have [10watts]you would be fine for plants if your tank is about the size of a six pack cooler.

tomchartjr
01-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Ok great to know and I actually have 20 watts of CFL light. I suspected wattage might be a somewhat clumsy measurement, and I know from experience that plants will grow under pretty average light conditions.
Thanks

smaug
01-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Ok great to know and I actually have 20 watts of CFL light. I suspected wattage might be a somewhat clumsy measurement, and I know from experience that plants will grow under pretty average light conditions.
Thanks
you actually have 10 watts of cfl light.its not doubled just because its cfl.you are correct that wattage is not exactly the correct way to judge,but it is the most expediant.How deep is your tank,what type of plants do you have,do you use ferts?all of those variables are also important.You are also correct that plants will grow with average light ,what they wont do is flourish,and isnt that what we really want?

tomchartjr
01-29-2008, 02:39 AM
you actually have 10 watts of cfl light.its not doubled just because its cfl.

I know wattage isnt doubled because its CFL, I later came to realise my bulbs are 10 watt. I had tohught they were 5.

smaug
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
I know wattage isnt doubled because its CFL, I later came to realise my bulbs are 10 watt. I had tohught they were 5.
awesome news,its always good to have more then you first thought.

tomchartjr
01-30-2008, 01:46 AM
awesome news,its always good to have more then you first thought.

Yup, I had to go back to the store and look at the package because I had thrown mine out. I've got some plants in there now so we'll see how they do. I picked ones that are supposedly easy to keep, one variety does apparently have a high lighting need so we'll see.