PDA

View Full Version : pleco/rapheal territorial?

llamarama16
01-27-2008, 05:47 PM
i have had a plecostomus in my aquarium for about 4 months

he lives in a litle rock cave near my filter

a few days ago i bought a striped raphael catfish
it is about the same size as my pleco

since raphaels are pretty shy fish, the first place he went was into the cave

i saw him go in, and then i saw my pleco inside the cave

they started 'fighting' and swimming into each other

it didnt look like either was really injured

the raphael swam out afterwards and i have noticed this 'fighting' happen every time the raphael swims into the cave

has anyone else ever had this problem?
and is there anything that i can do about it?

gm72
01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
What size tank is this?

You should get another cave of some type to allow them both a hiding place. Those fish are stressed out right now, not good.

smaug
01-27-2008, 07:17 PM
they will get along fine if they have there own higing place,I have 2 big raphs in with a leopard plec and a clown plec.There is peace in the valley,they all have there own home.

llamarama16
01-27-2008, 07:37 PM
i have two caves in the tank

they only like to go into one of them

here are some links

this is the one they both enjoy http://www.aquariumguys.com/livingreef1.html

this is the one that neither catfish seems interested in http://www.aquariumguys.com/stoneledge.html

should i get another cave?

(i have a 29 gallon tank)

smaug
01-27-2008, 07:56 PM
the raph will want something that hides him almost completely.Get some flat rocks or the like and build some caves that he will be totally hidden in.Raphs positively do not like the daylight.I sometimes go for weeks without seeing either one of mine and they are both over 6".Even plecs arent as secretive as a raph.

llamarama16
01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
could i sink a pvc pipe or a flowerpot into my gravel?

i have heard of that being done before but idk if a raphael would be interested

smaug
01-27-2008, 08:39 PM
a pvc pipe would work as would a flower pot.Good idea.

gm72
01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Agreed that it is a good idea. You could silicone gravel or sand onto the PVC pipe as well to make it more natural looking.

angelcakes
01-27-2008, 09:55 PM
i also have a striped rapheal fish and plecs,i dont normally have a problem with both,my striped rapheal fish has a coconut to himself and is quite happy in there,its only when he comes out (once in a blue moon)and goes to find somewhere else then my plec and rapheal will start fighting,and the rapheal normally just goes back to his coconut and is contented in there and only pokes his head out to feed!but i did do some resarch before i brought and they are normally shy and will hide away,so tubes and caves and coconut houses are good for them,thumbs2:

llamarama16
01-29-2008, 03:45 AM
i put another cave in, but now i think my pleco is just a jerk

i was watching my raphael when he was out and eating

suddently my pleco swims from his cave on the opposite side of the tank and starts attacking my raphael
after that my pleco stared pestering my three corycats (although he didnt do as much to them as my raphael)

he did that for a while and is possibly still doing that as i type

the raphael was nowhere near the plecos cave

are pleocs known to be territorial?

how can i stop this? its scary!

toddnbecka
01-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Male pleco's are usually the territorial ones, though their aggression is usually directed toward other pleco's. If it's a common pleco it's going to outgrow the tank shortly in any case. A bristlenose or clown pleco are the only species that come to mind as being small enough for a 29, just about any other species will grow too large for that size tank sooner or later.
The pleco is probably more worried about the raphael because its body shape is similar, while the cory's aren't seen as being such direct competition. Aside from their appearance, they don't hide in caves.

llamarama16
01-29-2008, 09:20 PM
could i like rearrange the tank so the pleco thinks hes in a new territory?

smaug
01-30-2008, 01:41 AM
could i like rearrange the tank so the pleco thinks hes in a new territory?
that might work,but it sounds to me like you have a butthead plec on your hands.Like has already been advised he will get to big for your tank soon.Maybe you could trade him for a smaller plec like the bushy or the clown that was suggested.Your raph will not do well being constantly bullied.

toddnbecka
01-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Rearranging the tank wouldn't hurt to try, along with adding more cover.

jbeining75
01-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Rearranging the tank will break up the already established territories the pleco has set. Give them both hiding places and try to use things that will break line of sight. Outta sight outta mind.