PDA

View Full Version : can you put cichlids with angel fish ?

babalots
01-27-2008, 05:05 PM
At the moment iv got a few different types of tetras , some tiger barbs , silver shark , red tailed shark and a loach .i have just brought a cichlid of some sort , will it be ok with the other fish ?

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Cichlids are generally aggressive in natural unless you bought dwarfs like bolivian rams, gold rams, or german blue rams. If that is an africian cichlid little about 2-3 inches and flat he will terrorize the tank. If a bigger cichlid the small fish will be gone soon.

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
What does your new cichlid look like or where did you buy him. That might help us out in determining. Its hard to say without knowing the cichlid type. I am a cichlid lover if you describe it I can probably tell you what type of cichlid it is.

babalots
01-27-2008, 05:12 PM
well im not sure what type it is ,its about and inch and half long now and man said it will grow to about 3 . its a blue/white colour with a blakc spot . He seems really tam in the tank but i am worried it wont get on with the others

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Hmm does he or she have a black line down by the eye. It may be an agassizi. Do you have any pictures??

babalots
01-27-2008, 05:20 PM
No i dont think he has . i never even realised it was a cichlid till i got home and dad said it was . its simular to a lamprologus ?

babalots
01-27-2008, 05:22 PM
or he/she is alot like the convict ?

babalots
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
or a cyrtocara moorii . No i havnt got a picture sorry

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 05:31 PM
No i dont think he has . i never even realised it was a cichlid till i got home and dad said it was . its simular to a lamprologus ?

If its like a lamprologus its an eastern africian dwarf cichlid. Unless its a ram then its from South America. Hmm. They are both relitively calm and peaceful fish. I don't want to tell you 100% its okay but they should be fine. Hard to say without seeing the fish though. Adapt him to the tank and let him go. Worst case hes aggressive you net him and its over. I would be more worried about the tiger barbs fine nipping the tetra though. Upto you. Goodluck with whatever you decide.

babalots
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
well it be ok with angel fish though ?

Fishguy2727
01-27-2008, 05:37 PM
You need to look through cichlid galleries and find what looks the most like it. Without having an identification on it we have no idea if it is at all safe.

Angels are cichlids. You did not list any angels in your original post.

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 05:55 PM
well it be ok with angel fish though ?

I'd be more worried about the tiger barbs nipping the angelfishes. Look it up, get us a picture, call the petstore you got it at and ask them what it is. Anything to help us out

babalots
01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
im just putting a picture on computer now ill try and get it on here for you

babalots
01-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Picture of my fish . i havnt a clue what it is , got a feeling its a cichlid , can any one help ? and will it be ok with the fish iv got a the mo and if i wanna put angel fish in ?

Fishguy2727
01-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Looks like some sort of Geophagus.

babalots
01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
YEs it looks a lot like them iv just search Geophagus. in google and the pictures look quite a bit like my fish . so can u tell me much about them and what type of fish they get on with
THANK YOU

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Geophagus are big though about a foot, the guy at the pet shop said 3 inches max. It is probably a passive south american dwarf cichlid. hmm... if its a south american dwarf it will be fine. I have had rams in tanks with neons. Feed him hikari bio-gold mini pellets for his staple and his colors should show.

babalots
01-27-2008, 07:11 PM
oh right ok , so will it be fine with most fish then do you think ? i hope it doesnt get that big , on the information it said in the pet shop it said it would only grow to about 12cm in the wild so, the only other thing he said is that when he grows he may eat small fish , he didnt mention fin nipping or anything . will it be ok with tiger barbs ?
the tiger barbs i have in my fish tank with my neons het on really well ,and in my dads old fish tank he used to have he used to have tiger barbs angel fish neons and few other types and they all got on great even though every one warned us that the tuger barbs would fin nip most of them .

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 07:14 PM
If hes a small south african dwarf he'll be fine. You may want to school him though with 2 more (most fish school at three). It will reduce his stress and keep him active. As long as you have room in your tank for them. Remember 1 inch of passive fish per gallon of water maximum. Good luck with your tank.

Fishalicious
01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Oh dear... hooray for fish shops... although you should really read up on fish before buying them also :ezpi_wink1: :ezpi_wink1:

I am pretty sure this is a Red striped earth eater - Geophagus surinamensis

You can see the striping in it's body and the red above the eye as well as the whole shape of the fish... actually I am pretty certain :thumb:

This little guy is going to grow to 9.8 - 11.8 in - the colors are amazing in adult fish

I really recommend taking him back depending on your tank size...

babalots
01-27-2008, 07:25 PM
there is no red on him he is like a pearly white / blue colour . i went by what was on the information and cus i nevr had a tank before i never realised how important it is to read up on each fish as i am doing now . the man at the shop asked me about my tank size and everything and he said it was fine and mention what fish iv got in and he said that would be fine i just didnt mention that i want to get angel fish so im worried i wont be able to . it did have a name of the fish in the information but i was stupid enough not to take note ha ha but now im panicing that iv done the wrong thing ???

babalots
01-27-2008, 07:29 PM
BTW thank you all for trying to help me !!!!

Fishalicious
01-27-2008, 07:29 PM
No he is still a juvenile so he will not have any coloring yet... they don't get the color until they are adult...

Have a look at him at this site - this is also a foto of a juvenile like yours

http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=redstripedeartheater

It's the same is it not?

babalots
01-27-2008, 07:31 PM
it is very simular but its more white . the man said it would only grow to abot 12 cm so i dono .... its so confusing lol . im going back tomorrow and asking i think

Fishalicious
01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Mmmh I was pretty sure as I can see some faint striping on yours as well..

I would definately go round and ask or phone ... there are so many cichlids and in their juvenile form and not yet settled yet it is hard to tell.... we could be here all night guessing LOL

XXX

babalots
01-27-2008, 07:38 PM
well thank you any ways

Fishguy2727
01-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Forget what the guy said, that doesn't change what the fish is. That definitely looks like a Geophagus sp. You can't take their word as fact. Most of the time they are either wrong (whether they know it or not) or simply trying to make the sale.

NickFish
01-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Number 1 rule of fish keeping (well maybe #2 next to cycling your tank) is to
Never trust what the pet store employees tell you.
Being a pet store employee myself it isn't easy for my to say this but it is completely true. Some actually know about fish but most just apply for the job with no experience, or very little. They will say whatever it is to make the sale. Unlike the people here at AC who do things just to help out a fellow fish keeper.

Especially if you come in seeming confused or asking many questions they will take advantage of that right away and sell you whatever they think they can. The best advice I can give you is to do all your research online or by reading some good aquarium books before going and purchasing any fish.

Collin1104
02-25-2008, 04:42 AM
probably not.. i just put a baby tiger oscar in a mainly cichlid tank and i had to take him out because he was getting beat up. but maybe since its only one cichlid it might not be as aggressive

cocoa_pleco
02-25-2008, 05:06 AM
month old thread!

mitcore
02-25-2008, 06:41 AM
i have put non agressive cichlids with my angels
flags
key holes
cockatoo
severums i have 2 a green and a gold
they are fine
those are with my angels