PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Discus

james0007
01-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi
I have 33 gallon tanks ,7 small discusses ( 2 inches) all of them living in harmony except for one of them always try to push them from the food ,always don't allow them to swim in tank pushing them to the end of the tank , chase them ..this fish make me & the other discusses stressed but the worst thing is this aggressive fish is the most beautiful one of them it has peach color with solid orange fins.
What shall I do with it ?
Don't tell me I should get rid off it….i can't … is there any other way??
Please Help

Dave66
01-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi
I have 33 gallon tanks ,7 small discusses ( 2 inches) all of them living in harmony except for one of them always try to push them from the food ,always don't allow them to swim in tank pushing them to the end of the tank , chase them ..this fish make me & the other discusses stressed but the worst thing is this aggressive fish is the most beautiful one of them it has peach color with solid orange fins.
What shall I do with it ?
Don't tell me I should get rid off it….i can't … is there any other way??
Please Help

Remove him for a couple weeks, then put him back with the gang. That usually reforms them.
By the way, 33 gallons is insufficient for one adult 8 inch discus, much less six others. You'll need at the very least a 75 gallon if you wish to keep them long term.

Dave

james0007
01-27-2008, 10:15 AM
i will try that... thanks

SpyderSpy6
01-27-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't know if my idea is in the budget, but one thing I did before I could afford a larger setup was a bunch of smaller tanks. At the size you have, you could get a smaller tank to separate the discus until you have a larger tank to keep them in. Also, you could try using a separation net depending on how your tank is set up.

I have larger discus, but had somewhat of the same issue with one being somewhat bullied. I just kept checking out the discus delivery's at my local fish store until I found a fairly aggressive discus... popped him in the tank and now it is perfect harmony.

Goodluck!

thumbs2:

kitten3326
01-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I had the same problem with one of mine, also a peach colored one, he was definelty king of the tank, I removed him for roughly 2 weeks and now he lives peacefully with the other 2. However I did find he was slightly stressed out during his 2 week time out, I believe it was more stressful on me then on him, they are such a beautiful fish and mighty expensive, to expensive to lose that is for sure.

jestep
01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I agree with the separation idea. Hopefully it will fix him. Sometimes a discus wants to be too dominant, and there isn't any way to change them.

As far as the tank size goes, I don't think it's immediately important to upgrade, but definitely you will need to in 6 months or so. For that many discus, 75 gallon would be the absolute minimum size I would go with, leaning towards 90 or more if possible.

The tank size often has a lot to do with how aggressive and territorial a discus is. Sometimes a bigger tank fixes it instantly.

james0007
01-31-2008, 05:47 AM
Thanks all for the replies , I separated the fish ,hopefully that will fix the problem.

jbeining75
01-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah you got him packed in there pretty tight. That is probably some of the aggression. As Dave said you can segregate him or try to move the tank around to break the fishes territories up. That might calm him down a little also.

james0007
02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi every one
I separated my fish for 2 weeks ,later when I put it back in the main tank two other fishes start annoying it…finally I gave up & sold the fish to maintain the harmony between my other fishes.
Thanks any way for the suggestions .