PDA

View Full Version : Banana Plants

Dragon cqzzzzz<
01-27-2008, 03:24 AM
I've been reading about banana plants, as well as other plants that can live in brackish water, for awhile now. Yesterday, I got two banana plants. I didn't do anything with them besides take them out of the bag last night, but today I decided to take all the guppies out of my ten gallon tank and put them in there, so they would be much closer to a light source. I also put a young female guppy with fungus on her tail in there so she wouldn't spread it to the other fish. She doesn't look good. I dosed with Melafix today and hopefully she'll survive. If she doesn't, she'll help fertilize the tank for the banana plants. I also cleaned out all the duckweed (there wasn't much) so it wouldn't obstruct the light.
Does anyone have any tips or stories about banana plants? How long do you think it will be before they send up their floating leaves? They have several bright green leaves, but one doesn't have much in the root department, so it got left floating, at least for now. The tubers have some brown on them.

Incredulous_Ed
01-27-2008, 03:43 AM
To be honest, I havent had much experience with banan plants. Alot of people havent had much luck with them. Be sure not to bury the tubers. And if your female guppy dies, dispose of the body. The plants wont use the nutrients from the rotting body.

smaug
01-27-2008, 03:48 AM
Banana plants are not brack water plants.they prefer water on the med soft side and an acidic ph.

Dragon cqzzzzz<
01-27-2008, 04:31 AM
OK I'll get rid of her body if she dies. I know not to bury the tubers, just the roots.
I read that they can tolerate brackish water. I doubt many plants really thrive in brackish water, but they are supposed to be able to handle it. Does anyone have experience or a story they've read to back up the claim that they're not like that? If not, I'll find out soon enough.
I was thinking of getting some other plants so please tell me if they can't live in brackish water. They are: Anubias, dwarf hairgrass, and (maybe) Anarchis.

Incredulous_Ed
01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Java moss anf fern can tolerate brackish water.

I've heard that vallinersia can also tolerate brackish water, as well as anubias.