PDA

View Full Version : Corys are indeed breeding again

gm72
01-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Okay, so they are doing the happy dance again. As many of you remember, I had a failed attempt a while ago with regard to raising the fry. I'm going to try this again.

Plan to remove the eggs and place them in a Methylene Blue-treated 2.5 gallon tank with a DIY sponge filter. Temp will be about 80 degrees. Now, what happened before is, at about...oh maybe 1/4 to 1/3 inch in length, they all died. I missed an ammonia spike, totally my fault.

I think I should put some established media in the sponge filter but at what point should I do that? Another way of asking would be, at what point to the fry start producing enough ammonia to worry about?

Thanks, folks!

NickFish
01-26-2008, 09:15 PM
In that size tank I would start worrying about ammonia after about a week, depending on how many babies.
Good idea with the fry tank, always much easier.
I'm not really sure when you would put the media in but I'm assuming anytime now would be good.

gm72
01-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Oh they haven't even laid the eggs yet, probably will soon though. The female is now chasing the male.

About a week, got it. I certainly have enough tanks with enough media that getting some will not at all be an issue!

Dave66
01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Okay, so they are doing the happy dance again. As many of you remember, I had a failed attempt a while ago with regard to raising the fry. I'm going to try this again.

Plan to remove the eggs and place them in a Methylene Blue-treated 2.5 gallon tank with a DIY sponge filter. Temp will be about 80 degrees. Now, what happened before is, at about...oh maybe 1/4 to 1/3 inch in length, they all died. I missed an ammonia spike, totally my fault.

I think I should put some established media in the sponge filter but at what point should I do that? Another way of asking would be, at what point to the fry start producing enough ammonia to worry about?

Thanks, folks!

Put them in a 10, or better a 20. Cory fry as such little guys that in a larger tank things like ammonia aren't a problem. Just lower the water to about half so you can get food and cory fry together. Start splitting them up when they reach half an inch. At that size you can move them back with the parents, long as there aren't any tankmates to consider the little corys food.

Dave

NickFish
01-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh ya forgot to mention the lowered water level. I forget easily since my fry tank is specially made for fry. It's 15 gallons but is only 6" tall. Really cool little thing. It's so long for its volume though.

Out of curiosity what type of corys are they?

gm72
01-27-2008, 02:59 AM
Bronze cories.

NickFish
01-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Cool! Keep updated on this!

Lady Hobbs
01-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Good luck this time around. I never even see my corys. Their in the 20 gallon planted and always in hiding.

gm72
01-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Larger tank is indeed a good idea. My wife will flip out when I bring in another tank, but I'll make it up to her!

With a 10 gallon tank do you folks think my small DIY sponge filter will be enough until the fry get large enough to ease my worries about them getting sucked up into a regular HOB?

NickFish
01-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Ya the DIY should be good.
I wrap a piece of the sponge material that goes into the HOB around the little nozzle thing. It filters slightly and keep the fry from getting sucked. Make usre to keep a close eye on nitrate levels if you use that though.

My corys like to hide under my driftwood during most of the day but as soon as its feeding time they all come out and gather around the one spot where I usually drop their food. The rams really like that stuff too and there is quite a bit of compitition.

Nick_Pavlovski
01-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Congrats, GM, fingers crossed for this time!