PDA

View Full Version : Craziness

Treerat
01-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi. I was moving some rocks around in my little BW swawp and my new Stonefish, Ike, got all excited and began making this loud grunting, chattering... almost like a growl at me. I was like AAAHHH! as he brushed past my arm. *note to self - get chain male shark suit for cleaning mini-swamp.*
Is that natural for that behavior in a Stonefish. I have had my smaller Stonefish, Carl, for a little while longer and I have never heard him made a noise like that. I know most all catfish grunt and stuff but nowhere I read that Stonefish do. Are they related?

tropfish
01-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm sure it's just the stress of moving stuff around. Many catfish make noises liek you said. I have a striped Raphael that buzzes if you stress itwater (like if you were moving it) gave me quite a scare when i first put it in the tank haha. My featherfin syno also sqeakes when it's stressed. It's just normal behavior, nothing to worry about.

Treerat
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
... I figured as much to some degree that the stress would bring out his inner beast but seems odd. More research is needed, I guess.

I had a pair are striped raphael cats a year ago but in a my big tank with some firemouths but they got fungus and died in treatment. hard lesson learned. but since added salt I havent had a sick fish. *knock on driftwood* My feather fins squeak at me and they are loud too.

NickFish
01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Awwwwww, I wish I had a fish that made noises at me. The only sound I've heard my catfish make is that splat sound when my cories jump out of the tank. They're always ok after doing this, I move them back pretty fast, but it's really surprising and kinda scary when a fish flys out at you.

I'd say that its just normal behavior, telling you he's stressed, or trying to defend his turf. You might want to seriously look into that chain mail suit, with a stonefish its a good investment!

angelcakes
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
my rapheal makes a noise when you go to move him:hmm3grin2orange: or move his coconut house! i reaserched and found that they are also known as talking catfish,i can see why!:hmm3grin2orange:

Treerat
01-31-2008, 04:47 AM
I caught a catfish once in my great uncles pond and it made all sorts of grunting noises and it freaked me out. I didnt think that it was a common thing all cat fish do. But Ike, the stonefish, fasinated, if not terrified me when he was doing it and i heard it from under the water.

I had one of my Butterfly fish leap out of the water at me once when I had the lids off and moving plants around. he jumped from the farside and landed like an olypic diver a few inched my side 4 foot away. totally cool. never happened again since. I think he was dared to by the other butterfly fish.

lol.. i need a raise in allowance to get a chainmale suit. but until them, im gonna continue to be very careful in the stonefish tank.

Treerat
02-01-2008, 04:27 AM
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/Kilo3001/FamilyReunion31Jan08DennisJerryIkeC.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/Kilo3001/MartinandIke31Jan08.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/Kilo3001/DennisJerryIkeundertherocks31Jan08.jpg