PDA

View Full Version : will this work?

xDopeBoY
01-26-2008, 09:40 AM
my flowerhorns tail has been nipped, so if u can vision it, its like split in half. so i have picked up a bottle of melafix. would the tail grow back soon?

Fishguy2727
01-26-2008, 02:00 PM
As long as fin damage does not go all the way to the flesh of the body the fin will grow back. The regrowth may be black, at least at first.

Harls
01-27-2008, 02:57 AM
when i got my convict he had a rippe tail it grew back after 1 week with no medication and he now has a black strip through his tail!!! he looks cool
but i do not advise to cut ur convicts tail in half to get a black strip through it!!!!!!!!

sailor
01-27-2008, 04:23 AM
Fish are more resilliant than people give them credit for. Most injuries like that can be healed with pristine water and aquarium salt. Riped and torn fins heal pretty easily with just keeping up with your weekly water changes and aquarium salt. My fronts have goten into some pretty nasty scraps figuring out their pecking order. In the year plus I have had this colony I have only had to use melafix once for extensive fin damage. If you are going to use the melafix follow the directions for the week and then do a 50% water change.

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 06:21 AM
I would try aquarium salt. If you have none as a natural tonic for your fish in the aquarium now I would add some. Most salts are one heaping tablespoon per 5 us gallons. Of course read instructs though. If you use Melafix you will have to take all activated carbon out of filters or the medicine will not work plus it will destroy your biological filter and possibly cause recycle. Try the salt first. The black strip from dead cells should grow back. Melafix you have to dose for a week also for fin damage or fin rot. Aquarium salt is best bet. Melafix will throw your tank into schambles if used improperly.

Fishguy2727
01-27-2008, 03:03 PM
The black is not from dead cells. Out of all the wounded fish I have seen, I have never seen the wounds become black from dying tissue. When fish gain new scales or fin tissue it frequently comes in black (as in lots of black pigment). So it is the new tissue that is black, not the dead. This is especially true of goldfish.

Salt is unnecessary in most cases. I never use it. As long as the water quality is high there should not be an issue. In addition, most recommended doses are way too high. Lake Malawi is one of the saltiest bodies of freshwater in the world, and the dosing of SPECIAL salt is only one tablespoon per 40 gallons. As long as the water is clean they should heal fine.

Not removing the carbon will not destroy your nitrifying bacteria. I wouldn't use carbon at all anyways, but it will not kill the nitrifying bacteria, with or without Melafix in the water.